First Batch ever, how does it look?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IpourYouDrink

Reaction score
After studying for a few weeks, yesterday morning I decided to finally make my first batch ever. I used a new Hard Cider instead of water, and from what I can tell, it's lookin good.

Anyone spot anything wrong with it? Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

I'm super excited :)

Opq1q.jpg

There are some some small white spots throughout, what are those, or will they go away after a proper curing?

Bumps are likely stearic spots, caused by soaping harder oils at lower temperatures. They are also more or less apparent due to the cutting technique.

Do I see some ash on the top surface ?

If you're using alcoholic or carbonated liquids, it is better to simmer those away. Acid (sour) liquids are better neutralized before using them.

I am not familiar with hard cider, but if some of the above comments don't apply to it, they may apply to a future batch you make.

Personally, I like the look where the soap crystallizes differently on the outside (that thin line of a different nuance), but wasn't able to duplicate it reliably.

Congratulations on your first batch! It looks great to me. Just remember there isn't a "wrong", it's just "it didn't turn out the way I envisioned". :D

When it didn't turn out the way you expected, you say "I meant to do it". :wink:

Congrats on your first batch! How soft was the soap when you cut it? I made a batch that was a tad too soft to cut, but I cut it anyway, and it looked like yours.

At any rate, it's a good looking first batch!

Thanks everyone!

Congrats on your first batch! How soft was the soap when you cut it? I made a batch that was a tad too soft to cut, but I cut it anyway, and it looked like yours.

It was a little soft imo, but it wasn't spongy and only gave a little resistance as the knife went through. After looking at it tonight, I'm thinking maybe I shouldve waited until tomorrow morning to cut it, but now I know for next time.

Looks like you did a great job! I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Now the hard part will be waiting until it's cured before you try it. Most of us didn't wait so if you don't wait you'll be normal. You won't like how the soap feels but you'll be normal. :lol:

Hazel said:
Congratulations on your first batch! It looks great to me. Just remember there isn't a "wrong", it's just "it didn't turn out the way I envisioned". :D

When it didn't turn out the way you expected, you say "I meant to do it". :wink:

My husband tells me that every time my colors don't turn out. I recently did a wine but added matter root to malt it pinker LOL it is chocolate brown. It would be pretty great if j wouldn't have scented it patchouli and rose.

It is a great first soap. It is awesome you used cider before using water. It took may maybe 6 batches before I used anything other than water.

I like koolaide soap for kids by the way.

Great job on your first batch! :) Unfortunately I remember my first batch. :cry:

Latest posts

Back