First attempt at Oven HP gone bad?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jola

Reaction score
I did this a week or two ago but have just gotten the pics taken to put up... this was my first attempt at oven hot process. It was also the first time I used clay in my soap (bentonite).

I did part of the batch CP and it looks "normal". The rest of the batch I did in individual molds and put in in the oven heated to 170-200, turned the oven off when I put the soap in and left it there over night.

This is what I ended up with... (Click to make them larger)
The shell kind of shape has little hair type things on it and the rounds look wet in the middle. What went wrong? I thought about rebatching it, mostly just because I haven't rebatched anything yet, but there isn't that much of the messed up soap. I'm hoping I can use it, even if it is kind of ugly.

I've never done CPHP before but when I used my plastic tray mould I did get that funny white stuff both times (the only 2 times I used it). I wish I new what it was from

hrmmm... this was oven HP, not CPHP, but I did use silicone molds. I didn't even think that the molds or size could be the cause of it. I've used the same mold for regular CP and no prob.

I've ended up with soap like that before. I can't say for sure, but I believe it's from overheating??? And don't use those molds from Michael's/Hobby Lobby in the oven. They will warp on you.

Hummm, to me it sounds like you were doing CPHP where you pour CP into moulds and force gel in a hot oven. With oven HP you make CP to trace then put in an oven at about 100C (200F) for about an hour, stir, and put cooked soap in your moulds and let cool.

I have had issues with CPHP in silicone moulds when the temp is not hot enough and they never gelled and they get a bit of white ash like substance and are very pale/opaque. Or sometimes it is too hot and the soap bubbles too much, but comes out as more HP looking soap (darker, clearer after cooling). Silicone does not insulate well, but if you can gel CP in them fine then it's a bit more mysterious. Maybe a one-off?

I would suggest for CPHP that you cook at a heat that won't bubble the soap (for me it was about 60-75C, 140-158F, but sounds like you could go hotter which is great) until you see gel all the way to the edges (1-2.5 hours depending on temp). I think that turning off the oven may cool it too quickly before it gels, and the rapid temp change may be causing the issues.

Just some ideas though. I remember someone else once had furry soap not long ago.... hehe, there were lots of roagine jokes :)

I thought CPHP was Crock Pot Hot Process.

I don't think I'll try the oven method again. I did a ton of research and it didn't turn out quite right. Thankfully I'm still making soap just for me so it doesn't matter if it's ugly! lol

I remember seeing that post about hairy soap, lol

Yes you are right it is crock pot hot process :oops: I thought is was Cold Process Hot Process.

But there are two methods of oven HP, the one where you put the batter in the moulds then cook to gel, and the one where you cook to gel, add your nutrients/goodies and then mould. The first one is best for detail resolution in moulds the second comes out the same as crock pot.

I just had a look at the list of abbreviations...

CPOP: Cold Process Oven Process

OHP:Oven Hot process

That's the ones. It sounds like you did CPOP, but there is always the other! Cooking the soap while in the mould is great for details, but has given me occasional probs too, just takes experimenting I think, but it can have a good ending. :)

Latest posts

Back