Finished soap ready to sell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
The way I approach it. Anything on the inside should be on the label. Sodium Hydroxide "LYE" as well.
there are labels on prominent e-sites. That do not list "LYE" at all. It is on mine. Just seems proper.
I list it as "sodium hydroxide". Does not have the fear/shock value as the word "LYE". Just my $00.02
I think the opposite - I think lye has less shock value than sodium hydroxide. If you Google "what is lye?" the top answers all say it is sodium hydroxide, which is a very strong alkali. If you Google "what is sodium hydroxide?" the top answers all state it is known as lye or Caustic soda. The latter is the word i try to avoid at all costs.

The counterpoint is that the lye is actually gone - it has reacted with the fats and oils to make soap - so saying saponified oils is ok too, I think.
I can't remember if it was the labeling book I read or threads here on the forum, but I think the 'rule' (rule of thumb?) is that you have to decide and stick with listing either 'what goes into the pot' or 'what comes out of the pot.' Since I have a much better grasp of what's going in, that's what I settled on. I imagine that some makers (I'm thinking of Dove here!) want to obscure what's in the bar to avoid casual scrutiny by buyers; people who have a knee-jerk reaction to 'tallow' may not mind buying something with 'sodium tallowate,' no matter that they're saying the same thing. (I know most of the thread readers know this, sorry!)

...manufacturing address...

Guh. I have to re-read my label book, I've totally spaced this one.

The counterpoint is that the lye is actually gone - it has reacted with the fats and oils to make soap - so saying saponified oils is ok too, I think.
Listing ingredients..... So, it's a this side of the fence. Verses that side of the fence. Sort of thing? Unsaponified VS saponified?

The Spruce Crafts has a short, but good article on labeling soap to meet U.S. requirements.

Absolute minimum requirements:
"Soap falls under the jurisdiction of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which requires the following on the label:
  1. Wording on the package that identifies the product as "soap"
  2. Net weight of the product
  3. Name and address of your business"
I recommend reading the full article which can be found at this link:
www.thesprucecrafts.com/label-your-soaps-for-sale-517046

In additon to the information listed above I include the raw ingredients - the word "saponified" and a list of the items that go into the soap batter (but not weights), usually for color I just put "colorants" or "natural colorants," unless there's label appeal for the type of colorant (like rose clay). For fragrance I list the EOs or put "artificial fragrance." Some of my customers ask about the EOs, so that's why I list the specific ones. Also, part of my label appeal is that I put honey in all of my soaps, so having it listed as a raw ingredient reinforces that addition. Some customers are very careful label readers and ask lots of questions; most just go for the scent, color, and function (example: exfoliating). It's a lot easier to remember what EOs, etc are in the soap if I just list it on the back.

On my balms, I also point out anything that might be an allergen, for example: "Warning: contains tree nut oils."

Hope this helps.

BTW, I know you'd like to recoup your costs as soon as possible, but the idea of getting a number of batches (at least 50) and time (at least one year) under your belt is sound. Batches do not have to be large, at the beginning most of my batches had 14-16 oz. of oils. I gave out lots of soap at the beginning to friends and family and asked for feedback, even gave out a feed back form. Many beginners hang on to at least 2 bars of each soap and test/use both when the initial curing period is complete, and then after about 6 months. They are looking for properties like suds, feel, scent, rancidity, odd coloration, etc. Word of mouth is a powerful force - one always wants to make sure that they are making and selling a quality product!

Hi,
The way I approach it. Anything on the inside should be on the label. Sodium Hydroxide "LYE" as well.
there are labels on prominent e-sites. That do not list "LYE" at all. It is on mine. Just seems proper.
I list it as "sodium hydroxide". Does not have the fear/shock value as the word "LYE". Just my $00.02
There are two ways to label...what goes IN the pot and what some OUT of the pot.

What goes IN is all the ingredients in their 'natural' state...this includes all oils and butter, distilled water (or other liquids used to dissolve your NaOH), Sodium Hydroxide, and additives, colorants and scent.

Then there is what comes OUT of the pot...what there is after the saponification process.

They are very pretty, I like the labels too.

A dampening note, though. If you have only been making soap for a month or so it is problematic to start selling because you don't know what you don't know yet. Whether the formula is a good/safe one, whether the scents (if you use them) will stick, whether the soap will discolor, whether you used the wrong ingredients/techniques/storage environments and they will get DOS, lots of other issues. It is generally recommended here that people soap for a year before they start to sell. I don't know if that specific amount of time is the right one, but I think a month-ish is not.
I started soaping like 1,5 years ago.
Had fun playing with botanicals and natural colorants, EOs and so. All the soaps looked really pretty, had great smell, lather and overall look.
I was smart enough to leave a piece of each soap on a shelf for a year to observe.
But I wasn't smart enough to pay attention on quality of the oils and expiry dates.
I got DOS in soaps where I had cheap sunflower oil.
Some natural colorants I used, were gone after 9-10 months.
Some EOs evaporated also.
Some soaps my mom had in her place, were different from the ones at my place, so storing conditions were obviously different and were affecting the soap differently (like lighting , humidity...)
So yeah, time gives you experience, not just the actual crafting. For sure.

Yep, I don't list either sodium hydroxide or lye on my labels either, and won't. It serves no purpose.

I do list all natural colorants I use, all oils / butters, all plants I have infused into the oils / butters, all clays, all essential oils, all additives so that people can check for potential allergens, as well as ingredients they find works for their skin. When I am buying soap, and before I ever made a bar of soap, this is exactly what I looked for.

I do NOT use INCI 'nomenclature' either, because the average person has no idea what those ingredients written in that form are, making my labeling my ingredients essentially useless to the consumer. The average person is not a soap maker & will have zero clue as to INCI ingredient names. And, fact is, most people STILL do not research ingredients, even in their food products, despite the fact that I always do this myself. When I was not yet a soap maker, INCI labels turned me off. Very much so.

Imagine a food product - which we put in our mouths - with a list of ingredients using INCI nomenclature.... 🤣

FWIW, I label my soaps with what goes in the pot in order of weight. I asked my family if I should list 'lye' or 'sodium hydroxide'? The immediate response was use 'lye,' it sounds more bad-a**.
Regardless of what your family thinks, you really need to follow properly labeling requirements. Consider...Potassium Hydroxide is also "Lye", but is that what you are using in your soap recipe?

Yep, I don't list either sodium hydroxide or lye on my labels either, and won't. It serves no purpose.
It does serve a purpose...it lets the customer know what went into making the product that they are about to put on their body. Yes, there is no NaOH remaining once saponification has occurred, but technically...neither are the oils/butters that we use. They have been reduced to fatty acids and then turned into something else.

I do NOT use INCI 'nomenclature' either, because the average person has no idea what those ingredients written in that form are, making my labeling my ingredients essentially useless to the consumer.
If you do it correctly they would. My recipe is Olive, Coconut, Palm and Castor oils and Cocoa and Shea Butters. The proper INCI labeling in descending order is:

Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Ricinus Communis Seed (Castor) Oil.

I personally thing the INCI names look nicer on a label that using Fatty Acids like Sodium Cocate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium, Palmate, Sodium Tallowate, etc.

You should check your state laws. Some states require that you have your address on the label. I didn't run into that until I moved to a different state and got dinged at a craft fair in my new state. Had to take my whole booth down and print all new labels for all of the soap I had already packaged up. It was quite a pain in the butt.

Checking your state's laws and requirements is the best advice so far.
When I first started browsing craft fairs for handmade soap about 20 years ago I noticed right away as I was reading labels that some said lye, some said saponified oils, and some said sodium hydroxide ~ I remember it clear as yesterday because I was getting frustrated not understanding the difference. I was complaining to my girlfriend who was picking up things left and right, but I was uncertain, and the nice lady interjected politely and proceeded to explain the difference. Apparently, Arkansas wasn't very strict about labeling and it was personal preference of the makers. Needless to say, I bought some of her soap for taking the time to explain it to me in that moment 😊
Just be sure you are following the rules for your area/state to get started ~ if you get lucky and decide to expand your horizons, then worry about the bigger picture 😉 Good luck!

I hope that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
I had the understanding that soap and cosmetic labeling in the US were not under state jurisdiction but under CPSC, FDA, and/or FPLA. There may be state jurisdiction for those types of businesses, but regardless of what state [USA], everyone has to follow the same labeling rules.
If I'm wrong, I hope that the correction will include outside sources to support so that I can learn what I don't know.

I had the understanding that soap and cosmetic labeling in the US were not under state jurisdiction but under CPSC, FDA, and/or FPLA. There may be state jurisdiction for those types of businesses, but regardless of what state [USA], everyone has to follow the same labeling rules.
If I'm wrong, I hope that the correction will include outside sources to support so that I can learn what I don't know.
Federal law is the minimum standard in the US. State laws can and sometimes do impose additional requirements and restrictions.

Florida is a good example of a state that has many additional requirements for anything beyond basic soap. Those additional requirements go beyond labeling and into strict requirements regarding the manufacturing process.

Check the FDA website; true soap that makes NO cosmetic claims (shaving, moisturizing, exfoliating etc.) is not regulated by the FDA.

All cosmetics, including soaps that do make cosmetic claims, are indeed regulated by the FDA.

Frequently Asked Questions on Soap | FDA
https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetic-products/frequently-asked-questions-soap

You should check your state laws. Some states require that you have your address on the label. I didn't run into that until I moved to a different state and got dinged at a craft fair in my new state. Had to take my whole booth down and print all new labels for all of the soap I had already packaged up. It was quite a pain in the butt.
You have Federal Law, State Law, County Law and City Law.

How your products are labeled comes under the FPLA (fair packaging and labeling act). If a state doesn't have a requirement, it is because it is covered under the feds.

US Labeling Requirements (nutshell):

MCS Soap Label.png

Above is one of my blank labels. Note that the name of my company is at the top and prominent. Under it around center would be the name of my soap. Under that is what my product is and it HAS to say 'soap'. At the bottom right is the weight of the soap in ounces and grams. At the bottom right is my city, state and zip code***.

***A note about this...so long as the physical address of where I make soap is publicly available, I don't have to put my street address. Second note, consult with state and local laws...they may be different.

EVERYONE must confirm to FPLA for the front label. Depending on what you are selling, you can have different rules and regulations. Example...labeling for cereal is different than labeling for motor oil is different than labeling is for soap is different than labeling for cosmetic. Also, different products can fall under different jurisdictions.

True Soap...soap made wholly with oils/butter and lye fall under the jurisdiction of the CPSC. And the CPSC doesn't give a rat's butt unless are marketing your product to children and then there are a different set of rules. But as long as you are make True Soap, you really only have to follow the FPLA. There is NO requirement for True Soap to have an Ingredients Label on your soap, but you're stupid if you don't because I would never buy your soap without knowing what it is made of. It would be like me be buying yarn and only knowing the yardage; makes a difference. Almost every soap maker I know uses cosmetic rules for their Ingredients Label. And whether you want to put what goes in the pot or out of the pot...just make sure you put it in order by weight.

Anything that is a 'cosmetic'...and in soap making/bath & body that includes shampoo, conditioner, shave soap, lotions, lip balms, scrubs, etc falls under the jurisdiction of the FDA...which has new requirements effective January 1st.

Anything that 'heals/cures/helps' falls under 'drug' and again...FDA and you're talking some bucks now because you're products will have to be tested and you'll have to be licensed.

NOW....everything I have mentioned above is FEDERAL. You will need to check with your state, county and city to see what rules and regulations they have for manufacturing and sales. One good lesson learned about this is Katie with Royalty Soaps. They had purchased a home and had built a shop and were making soap when they received a Cease & Desist or face massive fines. Turns out the use of Sodium Hydroxide was prohibited in a residential area.

Because every state, county and city/town is different, I can't tell you specifically where to look up this information. Best advise I can give you is to follow the strictest rules there are and you can't go wrong. Don't think that just because you are making soap in your kitchen and selling at kitschy craft fairs that you are exempt from following the laws. Now the odds are good given the number of artisan/craft soap makers there are, you're not going to get caught, but understand...it only takes ONE customer to complain.

Last edited:
You have Federal Law, State Law, County Law and City Law.

How your products are labeled comes under the FPLA (fair packaging and labeling act). If a state doesn't have a requirement, it is because it is covered under the feds.

US Labeling Requirements (nutshell):

View attachment 75569

Above is one of my blank labels. Note that the name of my company is at the top and prominent. Under it around center would be the name of my name. Under that is what my product is and it HAS to say 'soap'. At the bottom right is the weight of the soap in ounces and grams. At the bottom right is my city, state and zip code***.

***A note about this...so long as the physical address of where I make soap is publicly available, I don't have to put my street address. Second note, consult with state and local laws...they may be different.

EVERYONE must confirm to FPLA for the front label. Depending on what you are selling, you can have different rules and regulations. Example...labeling for cereal is different than labeling for motor oil is different than labeling is for soap is different than labeling for cosmetic. Also, different products can fall under different jurisdictions.

True Soap...soap made wholly with oils/butter and lye fall under the jurisdiction of the CPSC. And the CPSC doesn't give a rat's butt unless are marketing your product to children and then there are a different set of rules. But as long as you are make True Soap, you really only have to follow the FPLA. There is NO requirement for True Soap to have an Ingredients Label on your soap, but you're stupid if you don't because I would never buy your soap without knowing what it is made of. It would be like me be buying yarn and only knowing the yardage; makes a difference. Almost every soap maker I know uses cosmetic rules for their Ingredients Label. And whether you want to put what goes in the pot or out of the pot...just make sure you put it in order by weight.

Anything that is a 'cosmetic'...and in soap making/bath & body that includes shampoo, conditioner, shave soap, lotions, lip balms, scrubs, etc falls under the jurisdiction of the FDA...which has new requirements effective January 1st.

Anything that 'heals/cures/helps' falls under 'drug' and again...FDA and you're talking some bucks now because you're products will have to be tested and you'll have to be licensed.

NOW....everything I have mentioned above is FEDERAL. You will need to check with your state, county and city to see what rules and regulations they have for manufacturing and sales. One good lesson learned about this is Katie with Royalty Soaps. They had purchased a home and had built a shop and were making soap when they received a Cease & Desist or face massive fines. Turns out the use of Sodium Hydroxide was prohibited in a residential area.

Because every state, county and city/town is different, I can't tell you specifically where to look up this information. Best advise I can give you is to follow the strictest rules there are and you can't go wrong. Don't think that just because you are making soap in your kitchen and selling at kitschy craft fairs that you are exempt from following the laws. Now the odds are good given the number of artisan/craft soap makers there are, you're not going to get caught, but understand...it only takes ONE customer to complain.
Great info. Thanx!!

Here in Canada we have pretty much the same guidelines for the front label, although both English & French. I laugh at it because they specify that you have to have a space between the weight of the soap (number) and then the (g.). Other than that we also have to have all ingredients labeled on the back including all inci names as well.

I laugh at it because they specify that you have to have a space between the weight of the soap (number) and then the (g.).
That would be proper...we just have to have both imperial and metric. However, I think I would need a larger label to have both "Artisan Goat Milk Soap "and "Savon artisanal au lait de chèvre".

Listing ingredients..... So, it's a this side of the fence. Verses that side of the fence. Sort of thing? Unsaponified VS saponified?
Perhaps so. For some reason seeing "SAPONIFIED OILS OF (OLIVE, SUSTAINABLE PALM, COCONUT), SHEA BUTTER, NATURAL FRAGRANCE, ALASKAN GLACIER MINERAL CLAY, LICHEN MOSS, INDIGO POWDER, SEA SALT" on a label bothers me, so I guess that's the fence side I'm on (BTW, that ingredient list is from Dr. Squatch's Fresh Falls bar, so it's not just small-time makers!). I'd much rather see a list of everything that went into the pot.

My understanding is that makers in the UK and Europe must use an "out of the pot" listing, such as this one from Tiggy at Future Primitive: Sodium cocoate, Sodium palmate, Aqua, Glycerine, Sodium olivate, Sodium sunflowerate, Sodium cocoa butterate, Parfum, CI77019, CI77891, CI77288, CI77499, CI77861, CI77491, Limonene, Linalool. But then their recipes are assessed by a chemist, so they have that information available. Without chemical assessment, is there a way to me to determine, for instance, just how much glycerine is in a bar, and where it should appear on an ingredient list? Maybe there is but I don't know, so I default to just putting down everything I know I used.

Latest posts

Back