Finally get to use deer tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for this advice! I am looking forward to getting an animal this year, well, even more so that i already was! :)

We just finished rendering our deer tallow from hunting season. I had 5 gallons of tallow before we rendered. I have been reading all your posts :) .. I usually use lard we render in my soaps. it never occurred to me to mix lard and tallow.... i find that interesting. I read mixed reviews of 100% lard or 100% tallow bars. people seem to use that for laundry soap? so that makes me worry about skin? any thoughts?
Anyway I am super excited to make deer tallow soap. We have a large family that participates in our "wisconsin deer camp" so I think I will do a "deer camp" batch with pine infused OO and Leinies.
If anyone has some thoughts on the "feel" sudsi-ness that has more experience with tallow. I would really appreciate it.

Tallow and lard were used for laundry due to it being abundant and easy to find, not because its superior at cleaning.

We now know and have access to better oils for laundry, coconut being the preferred.

Lard soap is very mild with low lather. Tallow is a bit more cleansing and lathery but not a lot.
I really suggest not making a 100 tallow soap, especially deer. It will be incredibly hard and brittle.
Even 80% tallow and 20% coconut would be more balanced.

Back