Favorite and/or least favorite words

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also "Minnehaha," my home county. My home town is Sioux Falls, South Dakota in the county of Minnehaha. The city is built around a river water fall. Minne means water, haha means laughter -- so the Dakota translation of water fall is 'laughing water' -- isn't that totally apt?!
My dad's family was from the Flandreau area. When I was 16 I visited my grandfather's farm and had fun chasing the sheep! Good memories.

A least favourite word of mine is HEALTH because I have a bad memory associated with it….I came in second in my elementary school spelling bee with it….my competitor …who was one year older….won with dentist! With nerves the last three letters just got mixed up in my head. And I would not be consoled that he was a year older…no excuse for failing! Ohhh the expectations🤣🤣🤣
one of my favourites is ENTHUSIASTIC …..because I’d practiced it soooo much and was soooo cross they’d given me health instead🤣 the joy of knowing how to spell it has remained with me👏🏽😂

nowadays I do enjoy saying HISSYFIT😂

Thinking of this thread woke me up in the middle of the night last night! I really like the sound of the word loquacious. I thought of another, but it's gone again this morning.

Words I really don't like:
Disseminate. I know what it means, but it just sounds wrong to me.
"Imma", "finna", "supposably", "moist", "veggies". I know I'm strange, nobody take offense please!
Yes thoughts usually disappear with the dawn! Lol

e. e. cummings - known for juxtaposing one word with another to see the subject in a new light...

all ignorance toboggans into know
and trudges up to ignorance again:
haha - juxtaposing!

My recent favourites that I tend to use are exacerbate, penultimate, cohort ( i work in education so this comes up a lot), and nomenclature. I'm still not sure I pronounce the latter correctly.

I have some words that I hate when they are pronounced in the British way, but I'm fine with the American pronunciation. (As an aside - I hate when people say pronounciation instead of pronunciation. That's a real bugbear of mine). Examples are: omnipotent, qualitative, quantitative, and there are numerous others which i forget right now.

I have a masters degree in applied linguistics so words and grammar interest me a lot. And I've lived in Aussie, USA and the United Kingdom so i have been exposed to lots of different variations on English words and their pronunciation. I also sometimes get confused as to pronunciation because of (menopause) this exposure.

I recently did a creative writing course and we discussed some annoying/strange words there. One such word was 'plinth'. Anyway, I managed to incorporate this word into a poem that i wrote about our au pair we had when we lived in the UK - she was from Spain. The crew from the course loved the poem - although it may lose something in the reading. It is, after all, a performance piece ( bonus points if you spot the typo):

Patricia Rodriguez
(AKA Patrithia Rodrigeth)

No es RodrigESS,
She humphed
Es RodrigETH!
TH

She said it with a gentle pause,
A silence
An unfilled climax
TH
The tip of her tongue barely touching her teeth
I question whether she ever really said TH at all.
We would say thththththth
Like a slowly deflating balloon
RodrigETHTHTHTH
Father
Mother
First language interference
Therapeutic
Thrashing
Thermoluminescence
Thumbsucker
Mythical
Plinth
thththththth

Anyway
My Spanish teacher was Costarricuense
Con acento Sudamericano
Where Z is an ess and not a th
And I say RodrigESS
Rodriguez

More favorites: Lake Okoboji

Saponification, bergamot (and up until recently I pronounced the t!). I will say that Mrs. Zing was really caught off guard the first time I said "I'm going to go masterbatch."

Our kids called Corned Beef Hash 'tosh' and 'coffee cash.'

Tusen Takk. Uff da -- perfectly captures a feeling.
Just read this, and all the subsequent posts, before I clicked! 😂😂😂
Did she ask if she could come too?

Just read this, and all the subsequent posts, before I clicked! 😂😂😂
Did she ask if she could come too?
Um, she did not. Perhaps she is adequately satisfied already? :cool:

Thermoluminescence??!!

Revisiting this thread just made my day after such a serious day on the Forum what with all the safe essential oil usage rates and undissolved lye crystals and all.

I'm sending the th/z poem to my son who is a poet and spent a semester in Spain trying to master the th/z.

And plinth! At my last job, I was on the team building a new facility and I learned many new vocabulary words from our architect and my favorite was plinth!

I grew up incredibly sheltered in what was then a largely homogenous community of Scandinavian Lutherans in South Dakota, USA. My world opened up marvelously in college when I moved to Chicago. I had a coworker who when she made a mistake would mutter under her breath "chicharrones!" For months I thought it was a curse word in Spanish! And it's not. It's like my pious father's "curse word" is "Rumpelstiltskin."

Words I really don't like
"Imma", "finna", "supposably", "moist",
“moist” - ew!! Canada’s prime minister, Justin Trudeau, unfortunately used the word “moistly” at the outset of the pandemic when speaking about the benefits of masking up. The whole country talked about that for days, and turned it into a meme.

“[A mask] protects others more than it protects you,” Trudeau said, before slowing down to search for the right words.
“It prevents you from breathing or speaking moistly on them,” Trudeau said, then instantly regretted.
“What a terrible image,” he immediately muttered after the misstep…”

That would be "kitten love" then, wouldn't it? ;)

@KiwiMoose I believe the correct spelling is Costarricense, n'est pas?
I was thinking about kitten love a lot when I read that post.

Well I never - I've had costarricense spelled wrong all that time and never knew - thanks Ali! 😬

The typo has more to do with what Mrs Zing might have felt had she decided to go with @Zing for the masterbatching.

Myriad is one of my favorites but so often used incorrectly. Exacerbate is also one of my favorites as are penultimate, traipse, sashay and mosey. My least favorite word is the “F” bomb. It has become so commonplace now and it just sounds so crude.

Myriad is one of my favorites but so often used incorrectly. Exacerbate is also one of my favorites as are penultimate, traipse, sashay and mosey. My least favorite word is the “F” bomb. It has become so commonplace now and it just sounds so crude.
@melinda48 i love all of the faves you listed! As for the F bomb - I’m guilty of muttering it to myself when provoked. But it’s my guilty secret; my friends and family would be surprised to hear me use it! I’m pretty discreet (Except for that time when my phone dropped from my jeans pocket into the toilet at the airport. THAT splash provoked a rather loud audible response that may have caused the woman in the next cubicle to wonder what was going on. I hid in my cubicle until she left ☺️🫢)

@melinda48 i love all of the faves you listed! As for the F bomb - I’m guilty of muttering it to myself when provoked. But it’s my guilty secret; my friends and family would be surprised to hear me use it! I’m pretty discreet (Except for that time when my phone dropped from my jeans pocket into the toilet at the airport. THAT splash provoked a rather loud audible response that may have caused the woman in the next cubicle to wonder what was going on. I hid in my cubicle until she left ☺️🫢)
I get that! What I dislike about it mostly is that so many young people use it indiscriminately. I, too, have dropped the bomb from time to time but not the wayI hear so often on the streets and even on tv. If I dropped my phone in the toilet - you would probably be able to hear me from here in Missouri!

I hate the word panties. Ugh, *cringe*. It's so loathsome.

I love the German word backpfeifengesicht. It's a word that you didn't know you needed in your life LOL!

backpfeifengesicht

Backpfeifengesicht meaning: Someone deserving of a face slap.

"It's not quite clear where the word came from, but it was in common use in northern Germany by the 19th century and has stuck around ever since. It's actually quite visceral, describing a slap so resounding it whistles along the cheek."

Latest posts

Back