Fast acting recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Appalasia

Reaction score
Does anyone have a fast acting recipe that i could use for piping? Palm free perhaps?

Does anyone have a fast acting recipe that i could use for piping? Palm free perhaps?

You can use your regular recipe. Just use a higher lye concentration and soap a warmer. I have used an all liquid oil recipe for piping and just soaped at a higher temp. You can stick blend it more too. I'd rather know what I'm dealing with than try something new and not know for sure if it will work for you. High Shea/cocoa butter will give you a quicker moving recipe a well. I use my regular lard recipe for piping now, that way I don't have to add more ingredients to my label.

I use my same recipe for piping also.
I tried once using faster tracing oils/butter for my piping and it ended up way too thick for piping about half way through me trying to pipe, which resulted and solid soap in the bag and a split piping bag.

Here is the one I use from Anne-Marie Faiola's book.
20% cocoa butter
40% coconut oil
20% olvie oil
20% shea butter

3% lye discount
31% lye solution

Melt oils together and refrigerate overnight. Mix lye with water and stir until dissolved. Refrigerate in a plainly marked closed container, overnight.
Next morning take out lye water and oils. Add 1 tsp. sodium lactate to lye water and stir well.
Put cold oils in microwave for about 30 seconds. Take out oils and start whipping oils until they are whipped into a smooth butter. Put mixer on low and pour a little lye at a time into the whipped oils, this will take about 5 minutes. Once the lye water is fully incorporated, turn mixer on high and beat for another five minutes. Once the soap icing is able to form and sustain peaks, add fragrance or essential oils. This may kind of flatten out frosting. Whip another few minutes until icing is holding peaks. Put into icing bag that has a 1M Frosting Tip. Fill only about half full. Twist top of icing bag and pipe icing onto soap cupcake bases.

You can use your regular recipe. Just use a higher lye concentration and soap a warmer. I have used an all liquid oil recipe for piping and just soaped at a higher temp. You can stick blend it more too. I'd rather know what I'm dealing with than try something new and not know for sure if it will work for you. High Shea/cocoa butter will give you a quicker moving recipe a well. I use my regular lard recipe for piping now, that way I don't have to add more ingredients to my label.

What lye concentration would i use and what temp should my oil and water temperatures be?

I use my same recipe for piping also.
I tried once using faster tracing oils/butter for my piping and it ended up way too thick for piping about half way through me trying to pipe, which resulted and solid soap in the bag and a split piping bag.
I very much like the idea of using my own recipe bc i love it. So do i need to just have my water/lye mix and my oils at a higher temperature? And what temp should that be?

Last edited by a moderator:
I soap at RT and don't have a problem, I just stick blend until it's nice and pudding thick, then just keep an eye on it for a few minutes to where if I put my spatula in it, it doesn't drip back down into itself but stays on my spatula and then I know it's ready.

If we could get your recipe it would be easier to give you advice on temps, lye concentration, etc., But depending on that it could mean a 40% concentration soaping at about 110 or so. But really with no reference to what you are using, that is only a guess and you may end up with soap on a stick...

I soap at RT and don't have a problem, I just stick blend until it's nice and pudding thick, then just keep an eye on it for a few minutes to where if I put my spatula in it, it doesn't drip back down into itself but stays on my spatula and then I know it's ready.

If we could get your recipe it would be easier to give you advice on temps, lye concentration, etc., But depending on that it could mean a 40% concentration soaping at about 110 or so. But really with no reference to what you are using, that is only a guess and you may end up with soap on a stick...
This is my recipe, i would love all of your help so ty!
Lard 45%
Castor oil 5%
Safflower oil 5%
Coconut oil 20%
Olive oil, 76 25%
Superfat at 5%

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back