Failed at 4th trial ! Can anybody help ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubychu

Reaction score
This is my 4th trial on HP making. I tried 100% olive HP at first 3 trial and I would say they were success.

So I modified the recipe to :

- Olive 180g
- Canola 75g
- Coconut 45g
- water 114g
- lye 40g

I followed the same procedure as before :
- solving lye with distilled water,
- weighting and mixing all 3 oils,
- adding lye solution to oil,
- hand-blending for a hour. That time, I would say it was trace, maybe light trace not thick, but it looked trace.

- Then double-boiling for 90 minutes. When I took a little bit for "ball test", it kept sticky after cool and translucent gel look ! But the ph value was only about 7 to 8, instead of 8 to 9 !

- As a result, double-boiling for another 30 minutes. But it didn't help and keep same result as before !

What's going wrong ? It is due to not blend enough ? Can it help if double-boiling for another hour ? I know canola oil is even more difficult to get trace than olive so I add coconut to balance. Am I wrong :cry:

Wish that there is somebody can help me. Thank you.

I'm kind of confused...a pH of 7 to 8 is acceptable...especially if all the lye has been converted...

Mostly olive recipes take a long time to harden...

Thanks for your reply.

Following are the result of my last 100% olive soaps result :

1st - 50g olive oil, ph 8~9, double-boil for 90 min.

2nd - 100g oo, ph 8~9, DB for 90 min.

3rd - 100g oo, ph 8~9, DB for 90 min.

As per the above result, I wonder whether I mis-weight lye quantity so that 4th soap's ph value is only 7~8 and keep sticky and gel. Could it be ?

dont you have stick blender? you would only have to sb for 5 minutes then trace would occur, lower ph is good isnt it?Ive done hp many times if you want pm me. Good luck.

Could be there was a mis-calculation with the lye, mismeasurement, something. If it's very not-soap like and sticky after the first day or two, I'd wonder if that was the culprit....

hp soap is usually ready to unmold and very hard after 2 days,
i see on lye calc that you could use a tad less water, like 112,
but.. i do remember my high olive oil soap taking long to get hard, wait and see.

Latest posts

Back