FacebookWhatsappInstagram is Dead

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly they made a "flurry of changes" to their system and deleted their NAME records and DNS settings, making it impossible to connect to their services. If it goes on for long, I have the feeling some people are going to go mental without their hourly FB fix.

On the bright side, it's the perfect time for MySpace to pounce and reclaim the top spot!

1633507218322.png

Somebody asked me the other day if I could go back to living like we did in the '70s with internet, smart phones, etc. I said yes, except that I wanted to keep my computer and software since it does make my job a lot easier. I'm an accountant and bookkeeping is so much easier than the old days of multiple physical books.

I admit that I would miss the internet insofar as research and shopping goes...I just placed an few orders for colorants, scents and a new mold and 'click click done' is pretty **** convenient.

But the rest...to go back to the days when kids played outside, went to parks, went on bike rides. Went you walked over to your friends' house to see if they were home and wanted to go to the mall. When couples hung out with other couples...played cards, went to dinner. When men and women had separate clubs they belonged to and folks were more actively involved in their communities. When folks dressed up to go out to dinner and dancing or the movies, to church. When folks were accountable for what they said to someone else because they had to say it to their face.

Somebody asked me the other day if I could go back to living like we did in the '70s with internet, smart phones, etc. I said yes, except that I wanted to keep my computer and software since it does make my job a lot easier. I'm an accountant and bookkeeping is so much easier than the old days of multiple physical books.

I admit that I would miss the internet insofar as research and shopping goes...I just placed an few orders for colorants, scents and a new mold and 'click click done' is pretty **** convenient.

But the rest...to go back to the days when kids played outside, went to parks, went on bike rides. Went you walked over to your friends' house to see if they were home and wanted to go to the mall. When couples hung out with other couples...played cards, went to dinner. When men and women had separate clubs they belonged to and folks were more actively involved in their communities. When folks dressed up to go out to dinner and dancing or the movies, to church. When folks were accountable for what they said to someone else because they had to say it to their face.
Not for nothing, I don't want my kid playing outside in this toilet city. Don't get me started on bike rides- it's too dangerous for me to do that alone.

It would be so hard to go back to pre-online access; we're talking a good 40 years ago which is around the time I got my first computer without a hard drive (they had not been invented yet.) I remember those dial up modems. My mom used to complain that my phone was always busy at the same time my closest brother's phone was always busy. That was because brother & I used to chat with each other via an online bb way back then. It cost less than an actual phone call at the time.

And I remember the old floppy disks.
💾

And I've been using online bill pay for almost half my life! It would be so hard to go back to writing checks and driving or walking to my creditors & paying my bills face to face with a human. Although I did mail some of my bills, like the mortgage and the occasional mail-order (Spiegal catalog - remember that one?)

ETA: I can manage short spurts of time without internet access when on vacation and whatnot, but I HAVE to find a business that provides wireless access periodically when that happens. I was having withdrawal sypmtoms back in 2018 when the power went out during the wildfire in Northern California when I was visiting my son.

it does make my job a lot easier. I'm an accountant and bookkeeping is so much easier than the old days of multiple physical books.
but if the world wasn't so damned fast due to computers, you wouldn't need to book-keep on a computer!

But in a non-computer world, would anyone really care if their soap smelled of rhubarb and juniper?
I do agree, that I would probably struggle to "live off the land" without a decent research tool! It might take a couple of generations, but we'd figure it out. We did it for millions of years before the internet.
But the rest...to go back to the days when kids played outside, went to parks, went on bike rides. Went you walked over to your friends' house to see if they were home and wanted to go to the mall. When couples hung out with other couples...played cards, went to dinner.
What's this "bike ride" of which you speak? What ... are ... "couples"?!
When men and women had separate clubs they belonged to
No, no. that was a disaster at the turn of the (last) century and, I know I'm the new guy, but I don't think we need that kind of filthy talk around here.
When folks dressed up to go out to dinner and dancing or the movies, to church.
There's already far to much dressing up too. Far too much pretentious behaviour.
When folks were accountable for what they said to someone else because they had to say it to their face.
Nope. That sucks. I like dissing people I don't have t look at. That said, If we ever have a big UK meet, I'll quote myself on all of the above and you can buy me a pint.

Looking forward to that, I am! I miss people. I miss the good old handshake. It's the simple things.

Back