Extracting Lavender scent?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewepootoo

Reaction score
I like the smell of Lavender and it is one of the very few plants that will grow in my lousy soil. As I am not wealthy and buying FO is pushing me closer to bankruptcy, can I extract some useable scent from my own Lavender plants? Steve :D

I think you might be surprised how much plant you'll need to get any oil.

I'm not sure what method is used for lavendar but you need to find if the lavendar oil is water, alcohol or oil soluble. I'd start by making a strong "tea" out of it and let it sit for a day or two in a warm place. Then gently steam the water off. You may have to do similar with alcohol.
I think that gives you the general idea. I've never done this myself, so if you try it please let me know if you have any luck.

Hi Steve! Donnies right, it takes A LOT of plant material to get any eo. I bought a eo still last year, but Ive seen people use a pot with a bowl inside with the lid turned upside down. Plant material with water, steaming gently and the condensation runs down the lid and drips into the bowl. I'll see if I can find a link.

Thanks Honor and Donnie, I will build a Still out of Stainless Steel in my workshop next week and experiment with distilling teas and Lavender flowers. This could turn into another addiction along with making soap. Best not distill any corn though or I will be making my next batch of soap in the Bighouse. Steve :D
Ps, Thanks for the link.

I'll be really interested to see how you go Steve.
You can see, with that much effort involved, why eo's are as expensive as they are.
I think I read somewhere that it takes the petals from 100 roses to get one drop of rose eo.
You could also try steeping the lavender in warm oil, put your oil in crock pot on low and put the lavender in, I don't know how successful that would be but I know others have tried it.

Back