Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Avocado Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loubou75

Reaction score
Hi, I know there are lots of threads about Extra Virgin Oil v Olive oil on here and I have read through some of them The main things is that people are saying that the Extra Virgin Olive Oil colours the soap a green/yellowish colour.

I have bought 4 bottles of Extra Virgin Olive Oil today (prior to reading the threads) as it is half price at my local supermarket.

1) Is there that much difference in the colour? I am not making castille soap so it will be used in combination with other oils and butters. I might also be using some avocado oil too though so I guess that would be a double whammy of green? :mrgreen:

2) How does the Extra Virgin Olive oil and Avocado Oil react when used with colours? Is it easier to colour normal Olive Oil? :-D

3) When I google Olive Oil Soap and look at the images, some of those look yellow or green too and they aren't all extra virgin....so I am confused! :confused:

4) Do people think the that green/yellow colour is horrible? :thumbdown:

I thank you for any help. If you think the soaps will look terrible or not take colour well then I will return the oil.

In my case, I did back to back batches using the exact same recipe (no colorants) and used EVOO and "Regular" OO and the EVOO did indeed have a noticeable more yellow / greenish tint. That's my very limited experience and .02.

Olive Pomace will impart a green tint. I use Refined Olive Oil and it doesn't discolor my soap.
As for whether or not people like the green/yellow color...that's all a matter of personal preference. I'm sure you could find people that love it AND hate it.

I bought avocado oil from NG, and it is a light golden color. It hasn't colored my soap greenish. I didn't have that experience with EVOO, either. I used it in my first batches, and my very first batch is one of the whitest soaps I managed to make. Maybe it depends on the amount of these oils, or the combination of oils you use.

I use up to 20% avocado oil in my soaps, with up to 40% regular/refined olive oil, and my soap (well, CP soap that is LOL) ends up a nice creamy color. In fact, I just did a castile last week that is a very light cream colored. I suspect by the time its done curing, it will be virtually pure white.

Back