Experimenting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Ummm.. Im suppose to be finishing Christmas gifts. But I ended up doing this experiment.. talk about doing stuff last minute LOL!

I have all tonight and tomorrow... shoot! LOL

Anyway..
I got to thinking.. I love the little "rocks" they have at the nail shop, that they scrub my feet with.. They splash a little liquid soap on it.. and scrub my heels... feels so so good LOL

So I said...
Hmmmm

I wonder since Paul can make a rock hard smooth soap... maybe I can make a scrubby soap? like the one in the nail shop...

SO.... this is the recipe..

32ozs Coconut Oil
5.6ozs Lye
11.2 Water

6.4ozs Cornmeal (I did 80% of the oils)
4.8oz Shea Butter (superfat) I think 15%

1oz of Lavender EO
1oz of Peppermint EO

We will see...

Looks good Shannan. :D The only thing I find is that with that high of a lye discount, the bubbles are significantly reduced. The only recipe I take a 15 to 18% lye discount on is my 95% Coconut Oil, 5% Castor Oil recipe. Since there is a large percentage of the shea that does not saponify, you can go with a 6 to 7% lye discount and still be fine with no itchies! Try it your way once and mine and test the results and tell me...OK.! Thanks Shannan! :D

Paul.... :wink:

Well I dont mind the bubbles since its only for feet only... not a body soap.. its suppose to be really hard, I added the shea so it wouldnt be drying...

Please let us know how it turns out Smell It. If it's scrubby or not.

The first soap I made had a little cornmeal in it, but I was disappointed in the scrubby action. I didn't use as much as you are, though.

Ok I cut it..

This hard as hell soap :shock:

BUT NOT SCRUBBY AT ALL! **** **** ****!

I need something that will stay somewhat scrubby scratchy like.

the cornmeal took in fluid, and got soft.. its just now a normal soap.. with alot of cornmeal in it..

beautiful golden yellow i may say..

but ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Wow!

smellitlikeitis said:
Ok I cut it..

the cornmeal took in fluid, and got soft.. its just now a normal soap.. with alot of cornmeal in it..

but ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I was wondering if you were gonna end up with cooked cornmeal — cornmeal, oils and some lye to cook it! WOW! Sorry about that. You had one idea in your head, and something else materialized.

Well, at least you tried it!

Re: Wow!

NEASoapWorks said:
smellitlikeitis said:
Ok I cut it..

but ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I was wondering if you were gonna end up with cooked cornmeal — cornmeal, oils and some lye to cook it! WOW! Sorry about that. You had one idea in your head, and something else materialized.

Well, at least you tried it!

I wonder if I can make "Grits" Soap! LMAO!

Hmmmmmm......................I wonder :?: :idea: :?:

I need something like sand... something like egg shells..

That's what happened to me when I tried cornmeal.

Coffee grounds will work well, but probably leave a coffee colored bath.

I have some #24 grit walnut shells that would work great. Harbor frieght sells it $25 for 25 lbs. Enough to last a lifetime. Or I could send you a little to try.

That's a good idea Phillip!
I wonder how lavender buds ground up in a coffee grinder and used in a soap would be? They are rough, but a little large. If you took about 3 tablespoons and put them in a electric grinder and "pulsated" it a few times, would that do it? Hummmmm, might just work. I have about 1/2 cup back in the soap room...might wive it a whirl... :lol: :lol: literaly!

Paul... :wink:

What about ground loofah or would that be to much like adding sand

Any kind of seeds might work too---strawberry seeds, crushed grape seeds, raspberry seeds... they sell a lot of these as well as good ol' pumice at Brambleberry but the seeds you might be able to get for free out of food!

Back