Soap Guild Conference 2015

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy2428

Reaction score
Just home from Indy and very happily exhausted from the trip. I sat for 2 certification exams CP/HP Basic and M&P Basic and happy to say I passed both. :clap: Shooting for advanced certs next year.
Highlights
#1 - I was able to meet two of our own SMF family members, Dawn and Clarissa with her wonderful Mom, Sue. Totally honored and thrilled to make new soapy friends. Dawn’s husband John was able to fly in to celebrate her Birthday and he is amazing as well. Aren’t soapy husbands great!?
#2 - Got to meet and re-connect with some amazing soapers. Cathy McGinnis and her husband Glen are two of the nicest, real people with great hearts. I’m so happy I can call her a friend.
Ariane Assault is more beautiful in person and very sweet. She is 4 months pregnant and struggling with morning sickness, but what a trooper. She gifted me a bar of her sea salt and kelp spa soap. (I locked it up in my room safe, but kept taking it out to admire it). I’m only giving myself a few weeks before I try it. Her presentation was great and she said she was nervous but it didn’t show. I hope she gets invited back. M&P needs a little love too! She demo’d her rainbow soap and gave excellent tips.
Unabashedly, I admit to having a crush on Kevin Dunn. He is brilliant smart and so personable, but I get a little star struck hanging out with him. I feel like a school girl and just don’t know what to say, so I sit at the table and just listen. –For me just to sit there and listen, that is a statement in itself, lol.
It took 3 days but I was finally able to meet, Johanna and Karyn from Mad Oils. I can’t believe this is a company that’s only been in business for 11 months. I know Johanna had her own soap business before MO, but a new company is like a new baby – individual and distinct. – Insider tip: She is strongly recommending her Patchouli. She says it’s one of her best EO’s.
Last fall I enrolled in a 12 week course from Bath Alchemy Lab and got a hug from Erica Pence. This lady is very sharp and I credit her for getting me through my cert tests and a good strong foundation in soap making.
Jennifer and Melissa from Rustic Escentuals get the awards for hardest working duo and the BEST goodies in our gift bags. I still don’t know how they got it all done. Plus they were on their feet all of the time smiling the whole way. I haven’t been a customer before, but they have a new supporter.
Essential Depot was the most generous vendor. Derek really didn’t want to take anything home so he was giving stuff away left and right. –I’ll save for a separate post but I now have the other side to the ED lye controversy…..
#3 – The quality of the meeting and speakers exceeded expectations. The only thing I can really critique was the food…. I’m not necessarily picky, but it was bad. – “steamed” hamburgers, really? Not even any grill marks – just unseasoned gray patties, Ugh. Thank goodness for concierge. I felt bad for the people who bought meal tickets for family.
Summary – Great event, met and exceeded expectations. 2016 Conference in Tampa, Fl and 2017 in Las Vegas.
Okay, one witchy comment – Biggest disappointment – Ann Marie from Brambleberry. Biggest... FAKE.....ever!.... She blew in Friday afternoon with her entourage of 6, barely spoke to anyone. The only reason she came was to receive an award for the most new members added to the guild and for her master’s soap certification. I don’t even think she sat at a table for lunch! She flew out right afterwards…. True to form – BB was the only vendor in the goodie bag whose FO leaked…..

Oh my gosh, Cindy! It's sounds like you had the best time and I'm SOOOO jealous! I was really trying to fit it into my schedule but just couldn't. I'm going to start planning 2016 & 17 now, especially since I live only 90 miles from Vegas. Congrats on such a great experience!

Thank you so much for sharing! Sounds like you had a fantastic time, except for the steamed hamburgers, that is- blech!

I would be very interested to hear the other side of the ED lye controversy.

IrishLass :)

Absolutely IL. Kevin Dunn actually gave a presentation on how to easily test lye efficacy. I promise to share.

Latest posts

Back