Ewax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flavapor

Reaction score
I have never used ewax. Does it emulsify and thicken or do you need the stearic acid too? If so what is the typical amounts needed in %.

Does the formula thicken immediatly or over a few hours while cooling?

I have been using a cream creator that is all in one, and thickens immediatly but it is **** hard to get lotion into the bottles when its so thick.

Thank you for that. I didnt see on there where it said if and when any thickening take place.

I am looking for something like the olivem1000 that thickens and emulsifies, but thickens over a few hours not instantly

Ewax doesn't really thicken lotions but it will set up as it cools. It might take a few hours or longer. I've had some lotions that didn't set up until the next day.

I use ewax at about 5% in my lotions and I will add stearic acid if I want it to be a thicker, heavier lotion.

I've heard good reviews about BTMS and someday I'd like to try it. Here's a link that will tell you a little about it.

http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item.php?item_id=181

Hazel said:
Ewax doesn't really thicken lotions but it will set up as it cools. It might take a few hours or longer. I've had some lotions that didn't set up until the next day.

I use ewax at about 5% in my lotions and I will add stearic acid if I want it to be a thicker, heavier lotion.

I've heard good reviews about BTMS and someday I'd like to try it. Here's a link that will tell you a little about it.

http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item.php?item_id=181

Thank you Hazel. Love that dog picture by the way! I will have to give that BTMS a little look. When you use your ewax, on your finished product, does it rub on white or clear? I have used a cream creator that I love, goes on clear and feels nice. The problem is, its full of chemicals. The Olivem1000 was great except that it goes on white and you have to rub and rub to get it to disappear. It does feel nice and have a long lasting effect but I am not a fan of the white.

Hazel said:
The lotions have all been white. I don't know what else would produce a clear lotion.

Thanks! I like the picture, too. I cropped it from this post.

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26466
didnt mean non white in the bottle, I meant when you spread it on your skin its white, simular to suntan lotion that has to be rubbed alot to sink into your skin.

That link is friggin hysterical!

When I first apply it is white but then absorbs fairly quickly and disappears. Is that what you mean? It doesn't stay white on my skin.

E-wax will add some thickness due to the cetearyl alcohol, though you will need cetyl alcohol or stearic acid to achieve more density than e-wax provides. E-wax is usually used at 25% of your oil phase. BTMS will thicken an emulsion considerably, due to the cetyl alcohol it contains, and it's a very stable emulsifier (use regular BTMS; BTMS-50 will not lend much thickness). Be aware BTMS will give a very dry feel to the finished product. I usually use it in conjunction with e-wax, allowing me to use less of both and get a thick emulsion that isn't too dry. 2-3% of each gives me a nice emulsion that isn't too thick. I usually add cetyl for the glide it offers anyway, but it isn't necessary if you want a thinner product. I haven't played with Olivem yet, though I look forward to it. I hear it can be temperamental with regards to temps, etc. HTH!

My go-to lotion uses ewax at 5%. Recipe for 200g batch is below.

42 g Olive oil
2 g Cocoa butter
4 g Coconut oil
6 g Apricot Kernel oil
132g Distilled water
10g ewax
3 g Vitamin E
6 g Silk amino
1.5g Germall plus

Oils and e-wax are heated in microwave until just melted. Silk added to water and Germall mixed in after emulsified. It will pour into a bottle neck that isn't too small, and will thicken to a pudding-like consistency after it cools. Wonderfully moisturizing and smooth. It rubs in slightly white for a few seconds, but quickly absorbs.

thank you both for the input. I will give it a go till I get something I like. The olivem gave a very silky feel but its almost to glidy, if thats even a word! The lotion is a week old and no separation. I read it takes about 4-7 weeks to separate, so its gonna sit on the shelf.

Latest posts

Back