Essential oils!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie68121

Reaction score
I’ve searched up and down, read the articles posted about essential oils and how tos but I’m still confused on usage rates and using the calculator. If I’m making a blend for example lavender, juniper berry, and eucalyptus can I use the max usage rate for each oil in the blend? If the usage/PPO for each oil is 14 grams could I use 14 grams of each or do I have to downsize the usage rate because I’m making a blend? I know I wouldn’t be using the max, especially not for all because I want to have a certain amount of base middle and top note, but I’m just wondering is it safe to use that max for each oil? Does that make sense..sorry. ALSO the calc. on modern soap making website doesn’t have some EOs I have, what is the best way to calculate? I’ve spend hours trying to figure this out, and I’m just not getting it. TIA!!

I usually use .75 oz to 1 oz of essential oils per pound of oils. I divide the total essential oil into parts for blends.
Example for blend:
1 part patchouli
1 part lavender
1 part sandalwood

For oils not listed on EOCalc.com (which is part of the Modern Soapmaking website) you can get an EO reference guide, such as Tisserand’s Essential Oil Safety.

As others noted, both the individual oil amounts and your total blend amount need to be within safe usage rates. First figure the total combined usage rate, and then make sure that each individual oil is used at a safe rate within that total amount.

Latest posts

Back