Peppermint Essential Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 58545

Reaction score
So I am trying to find out the max usage but the company say they don't know pretty much and to check the documentation but for the life of me I cannot see where it says the max usage. The documentation is comprehensive but its just a technical breakdown, its not like their other products that have the IFRA ratings etc on them.

Am I going mad?

https://www.mysticmomentsuk.com/products/peppermint-premium-essential-oil

I checked their website too and found no usage rate. I would contact them and ask for that info.

I did and thats where the fun begins. First reply I got back said :

"We are very sorry as we are not a product development company or a formulation chemist and we are only able to advise that you find a recipe to follow or contact one of the aforementioned for further Information on usage with in your makes."

Next one said the IFRA is in the documents. Its not, the only mention of IFRA is :

IFRA Carvone (99-49-0) <0.1%

Assuming you bought your EO from a reputable supplier who hasn't adulterated the product:

Although the amounts of various constituents in a specific EO (such as peppermint) can and will vary from batch, the actual constituents themselves should not change, or not by much.

This is where EOs really differ from FOs. Using X-name FO from ____ brand is not equivalent to using an FO by the same name from a different brand. But I digress, so let's get back to EOs.

Tisserand's Essential Oil Safety book is very helpful for finding usage rates for single oils. What the book does not do is provide safe usage rates for EO blends. Using a blend changes the game because the combination may increase the amounts of certain constituents that have limited safe usage.

For that reason, I like to use EOCalc.com to figure skin-safe usage rates for EO blends (and single oils, too). The calculator doesn't list every EO, but the most popular and widely used ones are there, including peppermint.

Last edited:
I do not necessarily say go by what I always did but I always used Peppermint Oil at 6% ppo in my peppermint soap with a caution message not to use on tender areas. I had regular customers that loved my Peppermint soaps and sold a lot of it because they could smell the peppermint and a few could feel a slight tingle. I never had a complaint. My peppermint eo was purchased from The Sage, Pure Botanicals on Ebay or Liberty Naturals.

I did and thats where the fun begins. First reply I got back said :

"We are very sorry as we are not a product development company or a formulation chemist and we are only able to advise that you find a recipe to follow or contact one of the aforementioned for further Information on usage with in your makes."

Next one said the IFRA is in the documents. Its not, the only mention of IFRA is :

IFRA Carvone (99-49-0) <0.1%
That is because the chemical in that essential oil that has an IFRA suggested restriction is carvone. And that's how much carvone is in it.
Peppermint may also contain 2hexen1al, also at a tiny level.
Look for IFRA's document or annex that lists carvone but the restriction will be far above what's in this eo.
As others have noted, though, the upper IFRA limit may or may not be the user comfort limit.

Thanks for the feedback. After using too much EO on my first ever batch I am now cautious to making sure I don't use too much

The nice thing about peppermint is that it’s usually quite strong, so you don’t really need so much of it. I made a peppermint soap with around 2% the weight of the oils and using the soap still leaves a lingering scent of peppermint on my hands.

Latest posts

Back