Essential Oils in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chychy26

Reaction score
Hello! I am still experimenting with my soap recipes. I have one question to ask though, which essential oils actually make it through the curing process? Cedarwood, Orange, and Star Anise seem to be the only ones that have made it through the first two weeks of curing. I try to use EOs as much as possible, but aside from moisturizing, people really make requests for a "scented" soap. I sometimes think that it's best to save the expensive EOs for moisturizers and facial care recipes. Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

I use eo's in a LOT of my soaps because I prefer them for my own use. I don't like putting fragrance oils all over my skin. Customers seem to like the floral and foody FO's though, so I also make soap with FO's for those who don't seem to worry about what chemicals are in their cosmetics. Most people don't seem to give it a thought. But then there are all my 'purist' customers who do prefer essential oils.

If you want to use less eo, you can make HP soap, and add the eo at the end.

I buy my eo's from New Directions in larger quantities to save money.

Hi Woodi! I began making soaps for myself and when friends and family began to ask for soap, I was happy to make more. Unfortunately, I sometimes find myself using more than .5 oz. per pound of soap. I read somewhere that not all EOs work in CP soap making. I add the oils at trace. Do you find that the oils last longer with the hot process technique?

chychy26 said:
Hi Woodi! I began making soaps for myself and when friends and family began to ask for soap, I was happy to make more. Unfortunately, I sometimes find myself using more than .5 oz. per pound of soap. I read somewhere that not all EOs work in CP soap making. I add the oils at trace. Do you find that the oils last longer with the hot process technique?

I've never used EOs in CP soap, but I have an HP kitchen soap I use eucalyptus and rosemary EO in - 3/4 tsp for a 2 lb batch, and they last at least 3 months (probably longer, but I haven't had them around longer). I know you can use less with HP, so since they are expensive, I make HP soap when I want to use EOs.

I used Lavender in an Olive Oil soap almost a year ago. I have bars left that still smell very strong. I did add more than most recipes listed.

I'm in the EO club but have been drifting towards FO a bit of late. Must say though I definitely prefer the EO soap...hands down.
Some EO's I find that stick better are rose geranium, lemongrass, patchouli, mints, cinnamon & clove to name a few.
I have no luck with orange though, I'm surprised you find the orange sticks.

Thanks for pointing that out nattynoo! I actually made an Orange Patchouli batch and the Patchouli lasted while the Orange faded. Sorry about that typo :). I also prefer EO soaps, but still wonder whether or not the actual properties pf those oils actually last throughout the curing process. It seems to me that the more potent EOs are the ones that have longer lasting scents in cp soap - expensive and sometimes risky.

I was lost when it came to floral scents, but will definitely try the geranium. Thanks for sharing that!

I've had some luck anchoring citrus EOs with litsea and a itsy bit of patch

I love the orange, but I also think I'll use more than .5 oz. per pound. Each batch of soap is a risk taken and sometimes I feel like I don't want to waste my EOs. But do you know how much more I can use per pound? Thanks!

I find at 1/2 oz ppo most eo's stick very well....except orange or lemon. The 5X or 10X sticks better, but somehow, those light scents seem to drift away.

So I also, like Mom2tyler, sometimes add litsea cubeba or patchouli to anchor it. I also find that 3% castor oil in my base oils may contribute to scent's 'staying power'. I am told that my soaps scents last and last in customers' homes.

If I want a really strong 'orangey' scent, I'll use an FO for that. But I do like the mild scents.

I also keep my soap in plastic lidded boxes after they are well cured (8 weeks minimum).

It looks like orange works well when blended with other earthy, woodsy scents. I'll definitely try that next time. Thanks!

i agree with the anchoring. citrus eo's do have a hard time with staying power. they dissapate fastest. patch. lemongrass, clove, listea are known for anchoring==keeping the scents in some what longer. sorry i think clove is more for faster trace...

i prefer eo over fo's, but yes many customers do look for food sweet smelling fo's in products.
:}
you may want to search on anchoring eo's or citrus eo's and staying power, i'm sure there are other threads here with imput.

I've had good luck with a blend of orange and ginger. It did fade a little but I can still smell it. It's close to 8 months since I made it.

chychy26 said:
I love the orange, but I also think I'll use more than .5 oz. per pound. Each batch of soap is a risk taken and sometimes I feel like I don't want to waste my EOs. But do you know how much more I can use per pound? Thanks!

after spending a little time in florida, i love, love love, orange eo! i've been using orange 5x oil, which is still affordable, but using more than 1 TBsp per ppo to have it stick. i hear that the 15x orange oil definltely sticks around, but i haven't invested that much $$ in it yet. i've been trying to anchor it with litsia and mint, but haven't had a batch cure for t6 months yet to try it out. would be greatful for any other inputj too!

I'm not sure why i never thought of using the Litsea, which is on the shelf. What a lovely scent!

I make CP soap and prefer EO's. One of my favourites is orange and patchouli mixed. I have some of these soaps that are over a year old and they still smell great. Cinnamon, lavender, tea tree, lemon myrtle and lemon, have also held their smell well.

I agree! To be honest with you, the orange EO is something that I never want to go to waste. I often just open it up to take a whiff. What a wonderful scent! The Patchouli is awesome with it. I wish the blend lasted, but maybe I will use a bit more orange next time. :)

Latest posts

Back