Erame dried sea weed salt bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my2scents

Reaction score
Lush makes a seaweed salt lime Lavender bar & somone asked me to make it for them. How is it that the dried sea weed doesn't go racid in this bar? & Seaweed absolute is major $$$$$ . I can do the Lavender Lime (smells amazing) but I'm not sure about adding the dried sea weed? I'll skip the absolute its just way too expensive!
Will the dried sea weed go racid in the bar?

I've never used Lush - hearing all the issues with their soap going bad, I won't bother trying it either - but I'm guessing that they pulverize (make powder) out of the seaweed and that keeps it suspended and fresh-ish. Maybe the parts on the outside dry enough that being exposed to air doesn't make it go bad as quick. Pulling ideas out of thin air, I'm not sure!

I've made soap with seaweed before - can't think what kind. It comes in thin sheets. I crucshed it up and popped it in. Aside from going a bit brownish (it's a kind of earthy green to begin with) it held up just fine.

If it's dried, I imagine it should hold up as well as any other botanical like comfrey or mint or whatnot.

if you don't have time to order seaweed powder, someone else suggested the thin sheets of it. it's called nori, and you can get it in the asian section of most grocery stores. i tried it once, and it smelled a tad fishy to me, haven't repeated the experiment, but that sounds like one lovely soap you're going to make!

I make Seaweed soap all the time and have never had any problems. I do my seaweed soap HP method. I use Nori (found in Asian section of grocery store) and I use ground sea kelp. I break the Nori into strips so that there is both ground seaweed (the kelp) and "chunks" of seaweed in my soap. My friends and family CANNOT get enough of it. I was out of my ground sea kelp once because I get it at a local herb shop that was closed so I put the Nori in my coffee grinder and ground it up....and it worked perfectly. Here is a pic (this is the one w/ the Nori in "chunks" and ground up):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks great, scentapy! I am totally going to try some seaweed soap in the next few weeks. I've been a fan of it for health reasons for a long time, and bathing with it sounds fun. Do you scent yours?

Scentapy, your soap looks great! Does anyone know if people with seafood allergies react to this? Or is that just when they eat seafood?

Soapsugoii said:
Looks great, scentapy! I am totally going to try some seaweed soap in the next few weeks. I've been a fan of it for health reasons for a long time, and bathing with it sounds fun. Do you scent yours?

I do scent them. The one in the picture is Rosemary Mint. I have also done Lavender & Peppermint (EO's), Sun & Sand (NG), Tropical Musk (Elements Bath & Body) and I have a Coconut Lime Verbena w/ Coconut Milk insulating right now.

I know we can't claim "benefits" to the soap because then it is no longer "cosmetic" BUT.... my sister in law has those little red bumps on her arms...has had them her whole life...and the seaweed soap is the ONLY thing that has ever made them go away. She is a total addict to the seaweed soap now.

Seaweed soaps are my FAVORITE soaps to make. HAVE FUN with it!!

saltydog said:
Scentapy, your soap looks great! Does anyone know if people with seafood allergies react to this? Or is that just when they eat seafood?

THANK YOU!
Good question.... I have no idea. If anyone finds out I would love to know the answer!!

saltydog said:

Hmm, I'd imagine people with seafood allergies would be ok. Most of those involve shellfish or fish. I lived in Japan for three years and I don't think I ever recall meeting anyone who was allergic to seaweed.

Edit: But I am not an expert, so definitely err on the side of caution!

Yes - that was it; nori sheets!! And ground kelp.
And it did smell a little more than just a tad fishy!! (go figure) :D

But the smell did not last in cured soap, as I recall. I scented it with something or other and the fish smell did not come through.

I didn't know there were benefits to using seaweed. I have had those red bumps also, in the summer. I sense an experiment coming on .....

i have a seafood allergy (shrimp, lobster, et al) and do not react to seaweed. but that's just me so your milage may vary.

i aso do a bar with seaweed (i use kelp and nori) and i've never had it go bad. i use both dried, not fresh.

I'm definitely going to try this! I wonder if there would be a good way to add kelp or nori to liquid soap? Any thoughts?

Back