EO Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a 6 lb batch of soap what is the recommended amount for EO (Lavender) - I know how much to use for an FO but I understand you can use significantly less on an EO to get the scent strong enough - is that true?

TIA

EO's can be very potent. For 6lbs I would recommend between 3-4.5 oz. Depends on how strong you want your final product.

Lindy, that "Pretty in Pink" soap has 0.5 fluid oz ppo - i.e. 15 mL ppo. There's also a half tsp (2.5 mL) of patchouli ppo. The lavender was the 40/42 or whatever the blend is called, from ND. It was made in March, so that'll give you an idea of whether you like the strength and sticking power for that amount of EO.

HTH

Hey Lindy! I almost always use .5oz PPO with EO's. Some are a lot stronger than others though. When I use tea tree oil I use less than .5oz (about .3oz).

I've been using a lot of EO's lately and what I'm starting to notice is that while some smell REALLY strong at first, a lot of them fade (some completely). I made a lavender peppermint soap a few weeks ago that was SO minty... my whole house smelled like mint for days, but after about 2 weeks the scent in the soap completely disappeared! Same with a lemon EO I used.

I think .5oz PPO for your lavender soap will be perfect!

Moiby said:
Excuse my ignorance - but what is PPO?

Thanks in advance!

PPO is "per pound of oil". There are enough acronyms on these forums to drive a person crazy, but you'll get used to them after a while. And then a new one will crop up :)

I always use 1oz ppo of all but the strongest EOs.

x

i have been using lavandin e/o instead of lavender for the last few batches of soap. (cheaper and i really can't tell the difference!)

i have used .7 ppo of both oils, but i like a good strong scent. (but not follow you around like a storm cloud strong either!)

Latest posts

Back