ENTRY thread for the March 2020 challenge: inlaid soap design.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szaza

Reaction score
This is the Entry Thread for the to the March 2020 challenge: inlaid soap design

This thread is limited to challenge entries only. Please post all comments in the original challenge thread(https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/march-2020-challenge-inlaid-soap-design.78460/). Thank you.

Please post your entry soaps photos here. You may enter a group of soaps in one photo, or just one soap you'd like to put on display, but choose one entry photo, please. Also, please show off the transformation your soap has gone through by showing either front and (uncarved) back of a soap or take a before and after picture. You are welcome and encouraged to include any details you would like to share regarding the creation of your entry, such as technique, design inspiration, fragrance, recipe notes, etc.

If you choose to post multiple photos please indicate which one you would like to be used in the voting survey. In the absence of such indication, one of the photos will be chosen as the entry photo from the selection you have posted.

The entry thread and challenge sign up will remain open until March 28 at 11:59 pm GMT. A link and the password for voting at Survey Monkey will then be sent to all members who signed up for the Challenge. Voting will be open from March 29, 2020 until March 30, 2020) and the winner announced on March 31, 2020. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

Good luck everyone!

The March 2020 challenge is inlaid soap design

I had to keep my design very simple because I already know - a soap carver I am not. I made a small 3 bar batch, and one of the bars was sacrificed to try a couple of different designs. I also wanted to test the Trial by Fire red from Nurture. (It is lathering pink at the recommended 2 tsp PPO, but does not seem to be staining.) Here are my two aspen leaves. Good luck everyone!
aspen leaf.jpg
blank soaps.jpg

Here’s my entry. I traced the circle, but drew the sun rays freehand with a skewer. I carved with the end of a small metal nail file. It took me longer than anticipated to mix the colors and fill the cavities, which affected my ability to blend the colors in each cavity. If I do this again, I will start with a thinner batter. The base soap is uncolored (+partial gel which I usually don’t have issues with). I used Nurture micas for the sun (yellow and orange Vibrance, neon orange and trial by fire). The soap is scented with citrus EOs. The design was inspired by one of my favorite doodles. Thank you @szaza for a great tutorial and for running the challenge this month!

9C3B8008-DA94-43C7-B26F-FB5131B10699.jpeg
E65A16C1-7E61-4A8D-B91E-9AF390C0FF1B.jpeg

My base batch was a bit of a misadventure and ended up with much darker color than planned. So I didn't really know what to do until I was driving home one evening in the beautiful VA mountains and the color match happened to be pretty close. So this is an attempt for a "postcard from Virginia." I just used a skewer and a screw driver, obviously, could have been much more precise. Filled with the same recipe with activated charcoal. It got some soda ash on it already which in this case doesn't bother me too much ("foggy sunset").

IMG_5433.jpg

IMG_5364.jpeg

I probably should have cleaned up my design a bit before taking a pic, but it is what it is.
The main bar is scented with NG Chocolate Orchid which discolors to a weird green color (in my soap anyways, NG claims it turns brown) so I colored lightly with AC and M&M Midnight Blue mica.

I used tracing paper to copy my design onto the soap bar using a stylus shaped tool (I had to use new piece for each soap). And then used one of the fondant tools from the Sorcery Soap kit to carve and scoop.

The fill soap is the Royalty Soap recipe with VCS added, but it has already started to discolor some bars. I used a pipette to fill. I didn't plane my design because I really like the 3D affect the fill created.

Attachments

• 20200325_192331__01.jpg
    20200325_192331__01.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20200314_154512.jpg
    IMG_20200314_154512.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200314_154408.jpg
    IMG_20200314_154408.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 51
I love butterflies. In fact I have overwintered 6 black swallowtail chrysalises that should be emerging soon. So they were my inspiration. I carved the basic design and then filled with M&P. Then I carved the detail and filled that with soap dough. It was quite labor intensive but a lot of fun. Happy Spring!
C3373E72-BA7F-4D94-B500-68E523E69CC1.jpeg
F8BA560A-5CBC-4436-A656-DEB12B91FFF2.jpeg
43B2F844-559C-492C-A350-BF47626F958C.jpeg
F86E5564-B4FF-4A4B-9F4C-20B80A92A139.png
64A9A160-7493-4C12-92C0-61185CF53C01.jpeg

The entry thread is now closed. Voting links will be sent out soon. Well done everyone and good luck voting!

It looks like everyone voted, so I'll announce the winners early.
1. Jersey Girl
2. Serene
3. Primrose

Well done to all who entered your soaps all looked amazing!

It looks like everyone voted, so I'll announce the winners early.
1. Jersey Girl
2. Serene
3. Primrose

Well done to all who entered your soaps all looked amazing!

Oh my gosh! I’m humbled. Thank you everyone. This put a huge smile on my face during this stressful time. This new hobby has helped me cope the last couple months and I am grateful for this forum and all the wisdom and friendship you share.
Cathy :)

Latest posts

Back