Egg soap: tips or tricks?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocean_soul

Reaction score
Today I wanted to try making an egg and silk shampoo bar. I thought all was going well. I left my egg outside the fridge in advance so it could come to room temp. I tried to soap nice and cool too, but apparently 84 degrees was too much. When I tried tempering my soap with a small spoonful of soap batter it quickly became lumpy and cooked, even though I had added a spoonful of warm oil a minute or two before. What a bummer. :\

So my question is to those who have successfully soaped with eggs before, is there any special trick to it? Do I have to soap even cooler (which makes me worry about false trace) or what? Are fresh eggs better to use than older eggs?

Thanks in advance!

Egg soap...seriously...why do you people TEMPT me SOOO MUCH?
I read this post and thought..."I have chickens".."I have eggs" Guess now I will have to try this....LOL!

Thanks LSG, that link led to some helpful information. I tried using the whole egg since I saw a successful soapmaker do that on youtube, next time I'll stick to just the yolks. I'll also try tempering it more slowly.

Good luck, jean1C on your egg soap attempt!

Eggs...really...is there no end to the madness! :p Do you think it would work if you scrambled them and worked with them frozen...like you do with goats milk. Just a thought.

I've always soaped at room temp and added the egg to a bit of oil from the pot, then added it back in to the big pot. Never had an issue with it cooking!

I use the whole egg and remove the chalaza (the white stringy part). I then use a whisk to mix it up really well before adding the oil to the egg for tempering. Then the tempered whole egg is added to my oils. I found this so much easier than trying to temper the egg with thinly traced soap. I think you will love egg soap. Mine was rich, smooth and had lots of lather. I added a citrus essential oil blend to cover the slight sulphur smell of the soap.

Latest posts

Back