Easy homemade laundry "gel" from your soap scraps!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I know I've seen a few posts from people looking into making their own laundry soap, so I thought I would post about my results with my homemade laundry "gel!"

Many of you probably already do this - but if not...

Take about 1 1/2 cups of soap shavings (I use all my scraps), 1/2 cup borax, and 1/2 cup of washing soda and add it to a 4L jug (I use my old Tide jug!) Fill the jug up with super hot water, shake it good, and let sit for a few days.

After a few days you will have a sludgy (gross looking) gel. This is perfect for washing laundry with! It looks nasty (so I don't recommend selling it if you make it this way), but it does work well, so it's fine for at home! I usually just give the jug one big squeeze and about a cup or so of the mixture plops into the wash (I know, I'm making it sound so desirable, aren't I? LOL!) I only use COLD water when washing my clothes, and have had no issues with the soap not dissolving in the water.

Anyway. I have been using this to wash my clothes with for about 2 months now and I'm really impressed with how well it cleans them. I know some people have mentioned their whites getting dingy after using homemade laundry soap for awhile - but I add a little splash of bleach to every load of whites anyway and have not noticed this.

If you want to go the powder route, you can also make it by adding 1 1/2 cups of grated handmade 100% CO soap (no SF), 1/2 cup borax, and 1/2 cup of washing soda to a food processor. Blend until it's powdery, and wa-la! The powder type dissolves better in warm or hot water though.

Hope some of you find this helpful! It is a great way to use up your old soap scraps, and WAY cheaper than buying laundry detergent at the store! :)

Dixie said:
That's cool Ashley, but what do you mean by washing soda?

You can find it by the Borax in most grocery stores (in the laundry detergent isle). Not to be confused with baking soda - it's not the same thing! It is an Arm & Hammer product, but it will say specifically "Washing Soda" on the box.

Some people have had a hard time finding it in their stores, so if you can't find it don't be too surprised.... although I found it no problem in my teeny town grocery store. You can also buy both online if you need to.

ooh, good idea! I do the same thing but with a shredded up bar of fels naptha instead of my own soap.

Also, the first time around I couldn't find washing soda so I used Oxy clean and it worked just fine.

Now I know what to do with all those scraps! :)

This may also be called "laundry goop", "laundry sludge", or "laundry slime".... LOL as my DH called it. "Eww, it's slimy."

Again, it doesn't look the greatest, but it does work! :) I did 4 loads of laundry with it today and everything looks and smells squeaky clean!

I have to try the laundry goop , I have made the powder and it cleans better than Tide .I made the same stain on 2 pieces of white cotton , the powder took more of the stain away than Tide.
Thanks for posting this Ashely , now I know how to make it.

Kitn

I've been doing it this same way for a quite a while now.
all the slivers of soap that are too small to use get used this way, as well as all of my scraps and off cuts.
One day I will make a 0% SF Coconut soap, specifically for this, but in the meantime, this works great. I use the borax and the washing soda, but have run out and used either one or the other, and it still works great.
You can also put some vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser to make sure all the soap is out of the clothes, it neutralises it and makes sure you don't get that soapy scum in the washing machine.
I have four kids and a grubby DH and all their clothes come up great and nice and clean and fresh with this stuff.

I have been using this recipe for several months now & I love it! Not only does it do a great job of cleaning but it's a fantastic way to use up soap scraps. I grate my soap in the food processor, melt it in some hot water, then add it to an old laundry soap container along with the other ingredients.

As ChrissyB posted, a little vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser (or downey ball) works beautifully!

Hi, do you get a lot of suds from using home made laundry soap? Just wondering if I should use it in my front loader. Maybe it's better to use with a top loading machine?

Sounds like a good, economical idea.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question... but are your soap scraps a bunch of different colors? Mine are, and I would love to try this, but I worry about changing the color of my clothes!

I get a minimal amount of suds from my laundry soap, but I use a top loader, I have no idea what would be acceptable for a front loader.

I have used colored soap scraps with no problem. That being said, I only use natural colorants, no dyes. If the lather from your soap is white, it should be fine to use.

Yes some of my soap scraps have been coloured but I haven't noticed any colour coming off on to my clothes.

This soap doesn't get really sudsy and I use it in a top loading washing machine. You might want to use a little less in a front loader because I don't think those use as much water.

I have heard of people having problems using the powdered kind in a front loader (apparently it doesn't dissolve as well) but I think you'd be fine using this jelly stuff...

Back