Door hangers/door to door selling?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aab1

Reaction score
While watching Shark Tank recently one guy had said he went to sell his product door to door and they thought it was a great idea. That made me think I should try that with my soap, I quickly checked the laws and it seems if the items are under $25 you don't need a license where I am.

However, I also then thought of making door hangers which are less disturbing and I wouldn't have to carry tons of soaps with me.

For the door hangers I was thinking of including a coupon code for my website like "localship" which would give them free shipping and I'd go deliver the order myself.

Do the door hangers or the door to door selling sound like a good idea and has anyone else sold soaps by either of these methods?

Thanks

I wouldn't even bother with the door hangers, that stuff goes straight to the trash. Now face-to-face is a whole different story! Maybe even free samples among your nearest 50 neighbors? I give some of my oopsies to neighbors and all but one have come out to my farmers market to buy at full price. If nothing else, it's a great way to get to know your neighbors :)

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

I would totally do door to door if it was possible! It is a great way to get your product out there as well as meet some new neighbors!

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I saw another thread about selling door to door where virtually everyone said it was a bad idea, strange that this thread has opposite responses.

I already finished designing door hangers in Photoshop and will give them a try, I'll know if they result in any sales as the door hangers will have a unique coupon code for free local shipping.

I was thinking of offering free shipping on orders of $10 or more to begin with to those who directly got the door hanger so they will be very nearby (of course if they give a door hanger to a friend 50 miles away it won't apply).

About door to door, what's a good time that won't bother people too much and what would be a good way of carrying about 25 soaps (assuming $4 each on average that would be $100 of stock) in such a way that I can easily show the different models?

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't like people selling door to door to me, so I wouldn't do it or recommend it, I find it it's an intrusion on my time and my home. If I want a product, I source it myself in my own time and don't want pushy people at the door. I have a sign on my front door - No door knockers and I know neighbours have the same.

As for a time slot - that's hard as a lot people are out all day at work and when they come home they have to prepare dinner etc around 6pm so they won't want anyone turning up then. Probably late morning for people at home.

What about an ad or insert in your local "shopper" newspaper? That might generate as much or more interest and sales in your local area as hoofing around with an armload of door hangers or samples.

I'm in the camp that I don't care for strangers calling at my home or business to sell me something. Just not my cuppa tea.

I also agree that if you go door to door, you might not be met with open arms. It used to be acceptable to do this, but at least where I'm from, that time has passed. Even friends and families don't seem to just 'pop' over nowadays without an invite or agreed upon day/time. Perhaps if you deliver a flyer to mailboxes, it might be the safer route.

If you have designed your product around a well defined target audience, it shouldn't be too hard to reach them.
IMO going from door to door is ineffective. It could work if you play the 'locally produced' card and really follow through with that theme.
But the chances those people just happen to have an interest in handmade vegan salt soap without synthetic fragrances seem slim.

I wouldn't go door-to-door as many people these days don't really like that sort of thing, myself included. I won't even answer the door if I know it's someone trying to sell something. Like someone else has already said, if I was interested in a particular product to begin with, then I would have searched it out on my own.

Door hangers...those may be hit or miss. I never really looked at them, the times they found their way on my front door knob. I'd throw them away without even glancing, many people that I know, do the same things. If those two ways are your only options, I'd probably go with door hangers.

Why not put up a pretty flyer on the grocery store bulletin board? I know many places around still have those in use, and if yours does...there's a perfect solution! People could pull a little tag off the flyer that has the URL of your site (for example). Just a thought.

I'd have to agree as well. I've posted a big "No Soliciting" sign, right on top of "Beware of Dog" :). I don't know who these people are, that are ringing my bell in the middle of the day. With media reports of home invasions, I think many more people are wary of opening their doors to strangers these days. It might not be as big a deal if you live in a very neighborly environment - but I'd have to guess that this isn't the best option for you to get exposure.

And personally, I hate that people feel entitled to walk on to my property with their doorhangers, just so I get to throw them in the recycle bin. I have never purchased anything from a doorhanger. But that could just be me.

Y'all must live in safer areas than I do! I would never go up to a stranger's door, and I don't open my door for a stranger, either.

Y'all must live in safer areas than I do! I would never go up to a stranger's door, and I don't open my door for a stranger, either.

Last week I accidentally called the police on some vendors.
They did a safety survey and apparently wanted to sell alarm systems when people weren't feeling safe.
They came at my door twice in one month, no business card or work clothing and were gone as soon as I pointed out I have a couple of excellent guard dogs.
I really thought they were just checking out places to see who was worth robbing, but they turned out to be legit.
:razz: I guess I'm nut that trustful either...

If you have designed your product around a well defined target audience, it shouldn't be too hard to reach them.
IMO going from door to door is ineffective. It could work if you play the 'locally produced' card and really follow through with that theme.
But the chances those people just happen to have an interest in handmade vegan salt soap without synthetic fragrances seem slim.

I don't understand why someone would have to be looking for handmade vegan salt soaps to buy, I'd be willing to bet almost 100% of my sales so far where from people that had never heard of such soaps before.

All they need is to be someone that buys soap, which is everyone, so why wouldn't they be intrigued into trying a new kind of soap?

So far out of 150 hangers placed one resulted in someone going and adding items to their cart but leaving without completing the order and another that did result in a completed sale.

I'll keep putting a few hundred more hangers to get a better idea of whether they are worth it or not.

Back