Does castor oil leave a film on hair?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milla

Reaction score
Just wondering because I HATE my high castor oil shampoo bars on my hair with 15-20% and I do the vinegar rinse. My hair just has this greasy film and I've been using bar soaps for months now. I bought one that seems to work but I want to make one for me. Just used a mostly OO soap on my hair and it's great. Think I'll skip the castor for awhile. Anyone else notice that?

I think it is the high % of castor , I would decrease it to around 5%. I use most of my soap on my hair and it works great .

kittywings said:
Hmmm, maybe that's my issue too! I made a shampoo bar w/20% castor and don't know how I feel about it.

What was your CO %? I see a lot of recipes with 30% CO and 10-15% castor. Is hair really that dirty or is the high CO for the castor? My latest soap I tried was 14 oz OO, 1 oz palm, and 1 oz coconut oil and my hair feels great. It took out all of that nasty film. I think my issue was high castor and low coconut. They are going in the garbage.

Kitn, I think at most I will use 5% castor for my future trials. Thanks!

I was also reading my castor oil bottle (from fresh and natural) and it said to put 1 to 2 drops in your hair with your shampoo. So it doesn't take much to get the benefits. I know it's good for your hair, but I think for my hair, less is better. Also I was happy with the suds with my OO, palm and co bar anyway.

My coconut oil was 25%
Castor Oil 20
Olive 20
Palm 10
Wheat Germ 5
Cocoa Butter 10
Jojoba 10
2% Superfat

Actually, I didn't use the wheat germ oil, but I can't remember what I did use instead... this is what I printed from soapcalc, I don't know why I didn't change it. Oh and I used strong coffee instead of water

It's not BAD but not perfect... my hair is very shiny when I use commercial shampoo but not so much with my soaps.... hmmm.

I also made this beer soap a few months ago and I like it better, but I don't recall how MUCH better I like it... it's been a while since I've used it.

Almond 15
Coconut 10
Castor Oil 15
Olive 60
5% superfat

Thanks for sharing your recipes! I like the look of the second one better. I wonder how the soap would be if you dropped the caster lower and then added your jojoba and wheat germ to that recipe too? I have plans to do a beer shampoo soap, but need to get a recipe first. I have some jojoba, wheat germ, and hemp I'd like try.

Also, I don't think you'll get the shine you want from a soap. I use PHYTO phytolisse finishing serum (anti-frizz).

I used it even when I used regular shampoo. I put it in my dry hair. 2 pumps and I put it just on the top layer of hair. It smells good and it makes my hair shine. I use it more for shine for my straight hair. I'm going to take kitn's advise and try some of my other soaps. I really can only think of one to try right now and have my egg and lemon shampoo bar curing now.

Please keep me updated if you try any soaps that work for your hair!

I've read that shampoo bars with castor oil can leave a hard to remove residue on some hair. Try a bar without the castor and see if it makes a difference.

For me, even with soft water and a vinegar rinse I find that soap leaves my hair sticky, regardless of the presence or absence of any particular oil.

It may be because of soap scum, but it's more likely it's that PLUS the fact that the high pH of soap (9-11, versus more like neutral for detergent based shampoos) raises the cuticle (picture little scales) on the hair shaft. Which means your hair is rough, not smooth - and rough feels sticky and def holds onto ambient dust, etc.

Rinsing with a vinegar solution can help both the soap scum and the rough cuticle issue, but it's not enough for some of us.

I'll have to enlist in some testers to try a castor free shampoo bar. I can't get a single family member to try my soap. i'm talking in-laws, parents, brothers, bros girlfriends!!! It's not like I give them my bad soaps! I give them the good stuff!!

I'm going to have to make them an evaluation form and ask them to please try my soaps for a week or so and to please give me their honest opinion so that I can grow as a soap maker!

My hair is pretty normal so I'm not sure if I'm a good tester. DH tries everything but he has short hair and likes everything.

On a side note he was using my frankincense and myrrh bar and man oh man did he smell good afterward. The scent stayed on his skin.

Milla said:
I'll have to enlist in some testers to try a castor free shampoo bar. I can't get a single family member to try my soap. i'm talking in-laws, parents, brothers, bros girlfriends!!! It's not like I give them my bad soaps! I give them the good stuff!!

:lol: my hub & friends were like that when I first started out too. They asked me why the ... I was making soap when there was more than enough of it at every local supermarket.
Now they ask when the next batch is going to be ready and if they please can have something of it :lol:

dagmar88 said:
Milla said:

:lol: my hub & friends were like that when I first started out too. They asked me why the ... I was making soap when there was more than enough of it at every local supermarket.
Now they ask when the next batch is going to be ready and if they please can have something of it :lol:

I think my family is old fashioned. They like Zest, Lever 2000, and Irish Spring! I'm an engineer, but I like to make soap to my dad's dismay.

Awww Every person should do what they like doing! I was forced to do the highest education possible over here, with Latin, multiple other languages, high maths etc, because my parents thought it suited my intellicence level. I Even though I always told them I'd like to do something with my hands...
Eventually I didn't see why I would be getting a degree I'd never want to use.
So as soon as I moved out I dropped out of school and started doing stuff I liked without a degree. I ran a small hotel at the age of 17 :p , did daycare...took some small stupid jobs to get around.
And now I make soap haha
I finally got my friends over by placing just one piece of soap on the bathroom sink; everyone was forced to use it when they went to the loo.
Now my hub is totally ecxited and focused on making my dream soap shop come true and wants to help me with everything the first year I'll be in business!

What a great story dagmar! It's so great to hear about what you've all accomplished and you are so lucky to have such a supportive husband. Why do parents have these dreams of what we should be when really they should just want us to be happy.

carebear said:
For me, even with soft water and a vinegar rinse I find that soap leaves my hair sticky, regardless of the presence or absence of any particular oil.

It may be because of soap scum, but it's more likely it's that PLUS the fact that the high pH of soap (9-11, versus more like neutral for detergent based shampoos) raises the cuticle (picture little scales) on the hair shaft. Which means your hair is rough, not smooth - and rough feels sticky and def holds onto ambient dust, etc.

Rinsing with a vinegar solution can help both the soap scum and the rough cuticle issue, but it's not enough for some of us.

Very interesting carebear! I was telling my hairdresser a few weeks ago about using my soaps for my hair and I was talking to her about using a vinegar rinse to smooth the cuticle on the hair shaft. She said that's what she thought conditioner was for. I've never thought about it though.

I'm also constantly rotating products, whether it be my shampoo bars or conditioners. Even with regular shampoo I was getting buildup. I also put other stuff in my hair to smooth it down anyway. Did that before shampoo bars too.

yes, I believe we all have different hair! Mine has always been straight and soft so maybe it's easier for me to use a shampoo bar. Also regular shampoos were making my hair poofy! I didn't want it poofy. I just want it to be straight and flat. Probably not something everyone else desires!

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about using soap. I tried castile and it felt greasy, yet dry... if that makes any sense. One day I'll really like one of the soaps, next day... eh. I also have been trying borax which is pretty good, but my feeling waffle on that too. I keep debating whether or not to try and make a dupe of a commercial shampoo.
I just don't know. After hearing everyone rave about Big Moose's shampoo from the last swap, I really want to try it. Is it a regular (read: commercial-like) shampoo or a shampoo bar or a liquid shampoo (read: liquid soap).
I JUST DON"T KNOW!

Also, I've been using a citric acid solution in spray bottle for a "conditioner" and it's funny how it feels way softer right after you've sprayed it and your hair gets wet under the regular water again.

I just got some citric acid. How much do you use in how much water?

I originally had an 8 oz container and I would put in 1/4 tsp (read about it somewhere), I just "upgraded" to a big spray bottle (so I'd use less, yet cover more area)... I think I put about a tsp. in it. A little goes a long way. I like that it doesn't smell like vinegar.

I made a plain 100% CO bar a while ago for laundry, but I'm wondering what it would do to my hair. I guess trying once couldn't hurt! I think I have an experiment for tomorrow.

Honestly, I really think it depends on the individual's hair. Soap based shampoo bars are a real love/hate thing.

I make one with no coconut and 15% castor.....I use a large % of palm to keep it reasonably hard. My mom loves it and it works great for color treated hair. Other people may find it too greasy

I think I'll try my olive, almond, coconut, castor bar next. Now at least I look forward to washing my hair. I do not look forward to drying it.

Latest posts

Back