Does anyone mix their colourants directly with their fragrance/essential oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodge

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm the kind of soaper who is constantly forgetting to add their fragrance to their batch and ends up glopping back into the bowl to remix it in. It's chronic, I hate it :D

Hard to forget the colourant though! So, I was thinking, instead of using water/oils from the batch to disperse my colours - why not use the fragrance I was planning on using for the batch?

In theory, I can't see why not (famous last words) but am I missing something? Would essential oils morph the colours if they are in direct contact? I haven't heard of anyone doing this, but it seems like it might solve my problems :D

(If it helps, I only use natural colourants and essential oils)

Has anyone tried this?

Cheers!

I add my fragrance directly to my oils before I add my lye. Hard to forget what’s already in the pot.

I don’t know if anything would go wrong with your method. I don’t see why it would be an issue though. Give it a try, see if it works

I think it is called a slurry...mixed fragrances and clays, colors..
People usually put it last in case it behaves badly.
But if you have used this one before...then you can without fear of ricing or seizing.

I do it all the time. I only use clays and oil infusions for my color. I read that the clays help hold the scent, so that is what I do for every batch. I never had a problem!

The easy way not to forget anything that goes in the bowl, fragrance included, is to line everything up that goes in, in the order you put it, that's how I do it.

The colorant may make a difference in how it is mixed.
I use Mica and just mix with some of the oils all mixed in the pot, that way I am not adding anything extra - also if there is an issue I can auto rule out any of that extra oil.
I then put in the FO
I measure everything out and have it by the pot ready to pour... LYE is at the end of the line so that nothing is missed in between.
But, you know things happen. I forgot the FO in 2 batches last year. One because I think I moved the little cup over to wipe up a spill or something and then missed it lol.

I mix my fragrance in with my oils. My colorant I add after separated. I mix them in a bit of oil or glycerine. If making just one color you could mix your fo and color into the oils.

Latest posts

Back