Recommended ratio for essential oil blend

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karlawoowoo

Reaction score
Hi! This is my first time posting so here goes.... I suffer with anosmia ( I lack the ability to smell!) I love making cp soap, body butters and now, liquid soap. I have recently purchased a good amount of sweet orange, lemongrass and cedarwood essential oils and want to use this combo to fragrance my creations. Can anyone recommend a good ratio for this mix? For example: 1 part cedarwood, 2 parts lemongrass and 3 parts sweet orange?
I realise this blend won't work that well in a CP soap recipe but I've just made a batch of liquid soap and would like to give it a go. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
@KiwiMoose beat me to it. Couldn’t get link working. Definitely recommend reading about the individual essential oil & it’s recommended % usage in different products @
www.EOcalc.com
Ya gotta be quick! ;)
@Karlawoowoo - it will be a great resource for you since you can't smell them yourself.
Be aware that citrus scents don't hold well - so the top note of seweet orange could fade over time. A good alternative is litsea - not as sweet but still citrus.

Welcome to the forum! Answering @KiwiMoose 's page. In general as a guideline, I use 30%:60%:10% top:middle:base notes. So I suggest 30 orange, 60 lemongrass, 10 cedarwood. This will smell totally awesome!

It sounds like you've already purchased your oils. But I'll ditto many comments here. The 5X and 10x citrus stick better than plain citrus. And litsea is very effective. I use Blends Archive » EO Calc - Essential Oil Calculator all the time. Another helpful resource is https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/bl...s-for-soapmaking-starter-essential-oil-blends .

Your users will love anything lemongrass -- even 100%! My lemongrass blends are my most popular and most purchased.

Not to get to much up in your grill and you don't have to share all your personal business. I'm just curious if your anosmia has been life long? Just curious if you have any frame of reference or memories.

Welcome to the forum! Answering @KiwiMoose 's page. In general as a guideline, I use 30%:60%:10% top:middle:base notes. So I suggest 30 orange, 60 lemongrass, 10 cedarwood. This will smell totally awesome!

It sounds like you've already purchased your oils. But I'll ditto many comments here. The 5X and 10x citrus stick better than plain citrus. And litsea is very effective. I use Blends Archive » EO Calc - Essential Oil Calculator all the time. Another helpful resource is https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/bl...s-for-soapmaking-starter-essential-oil-blends .

Your users will love anything lemongrass -- even 100%! My lemongrass blends are my most popular and most purchased.

Not to get to much up in your grill and you don't have to share all your personal business. I'm just curious if your anosmia has been life long? Just curious if you have any frame of reference or memories.
Thank you so much!! This is really, really helpful to me. Glad to know my lemongrass blend will likely be a popular one.

The anosmia started about 10 years ago. It's a weird one because veeeeery occasionally I can smell a little bit, however it's really muted amd inconsistent. I do have a recollection of a lot of scents, especially essential oils as I used to be a massage therapist and work with aromatherapy.

Back