Does anyone actually soap lilac?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleine Teufel

Reaction score
I've had it with this scent! I've got one ounce left of 8oz. I have yet to make soap that didn't turn into soap on a stick or glumpy crap in a mold. I just tried it again with a new method... COLD everything, dump it all in together at once, and I STILL GET CRAP! Grawr! It literally turned to crap within 10 seconds. I can't add this fragrance ever. I'm so sick of it. I'm seriously thinking that no matter how wonderful this liquid evil smells, I'm just going to have to cut it out of future orders. I have a very high OO content, and my recipe usually takes eons to trace, but this scent is just infuriating.

Maybe you can Hot Process the batch instead of CP? Adding the fo after cook means no seizing, ricing, and you can use a lot less fragrance oil too.

I've soaped NG's Lilac without too many problems. It accelerated a bit on the first try, so I just soaped cooler the next time around and it was fine.

Maybe you need to try a different supplier? I think that Peak Candle's was OK the one time I used it.

I just made my 1st salt soap with lilac FO, at 13% SF and used goats milk. Now I've got oil sweating on top and am wondering if it's due to the lilac FO which I bought from BB.

I just soaped BB's Lilac this weekend and didn't have any trouble.

I used a 30% lye solution (34% water on soapcalc) and I even had time to do this......

Lilac1a.jpg

Thanks soapygurl! The colors are actually brighter and more vivid than my iphone picked up! I used Select Shades and get fantastic results everytime. Super easy!

Your soap looks good enough to eat, Zeo!

I use White Lilac from TheScentWorks and it soaps great for me with no A, even when soaped hot (120F). It's good and strong, too. I only need to use .53 oz ppo.

IrishLass :)

i soap Lilac from Soap Supplies and have never had any trouble with A and only slight D. very strong fragrance but sells great in this area.

Grrr. I wonder if I mix the fragrance into the oil, THEN add the lye, if that'd help any. I'm just frustrated with this stuff, I love the smell, but hate soaping it.

bettacreek said:
Grrr. I wonder if I mix the fragrance into the oil, THEN add the lye, if that'd help any. I'm just frustrated with this stuff, I love the smell, but hate soaping it.

I've found that adding the FO to the oils first before the lye really and truly helps in a miraculous way with some of my extra-ornery fragrance oils. With some of my other extra-ornery FOs, however, it actually makes things worse. The only way to find out which of your FOs do well with the method is to just bite the bullet and try it.

IrishLass :)

I use BB's lilac with no problems. It moves a bit faster than normal but nothing that can't be handled.

I just made a batch of lilac soap using the FO from Peak Candle. It behaved beautifully. I used 60% hard oils/40% liquid oils, 10% SF, 33% lye concentration, soaped at about added the FO at light trace and stirred it in with a slotted spoon. I used it at 3% of my oils or roughly .5 oz PPO. It thickened slowly and did not overheat. I would have had time to swirl if I wanted but I was going for a layered soap.

I made a sample bar of this FO some months ago and it does not discolor and the scent remains true and sticks.

Give it a try?

Wow I am wondering if zeoplum would consider doing a tutorial on the above pictured soap. It is beautiful. :idea:

I soap lilac FO from Symphony Scents. It is a no problem FO with great scent that stays. Try another supplier perhaps.

Back