Does 10% Shea butter in CP soap really make a difference?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapGrove

Reaction score
Do you think that shea butter at 10% in a recipe really makes a difference in CP soaps? Looking to see if it's even worth purchasing. I have never made soap without it...have you? Could you even tell the difference? Thanks!

From experiments that others have done (Songwind being the one that I am most aware of) it doesn't really seem to do so - from the properties once saponified, it is almost the same as palm or lard. Don't forget that the properties of an oil once saponified can be totally different from the unsaponified oil.

That said, I did use cocoa butter in the dental soap that I made because of the potential dental benefits

I can't speak for everyone, but I make my soap vegetarian and palm-free (I use mostly olive, avocado and coconut oil), and I find that using some shea makes for a harder bar, while the recipes I made without shea, took longer before I could unmold them, and even then they stayed soft for a long time. But don't take my word for it, I'm a new soaper and my experience is limited.

I'm still really new to formulating recipes but I recently did a hodgepodge where I was using up the last little bits of some of my stash cause I hadn't made it to the store/order yet - 0.6 oz shea, only 1.65 oz coconut, 1.15 oz coco butter (2 lb recipe). I didn't really think it would make much of a difference honestly but the hubby just said last night its become his favorite bar.

I don't know if all those bits helped at all, maybe its the whole formula together that makes the difference. I do think its worth giving a try to see how it feels for you cause every formula will feel different to different people.

I can't speak for everyone, but I make my soap vegetarian and palm-free (I use mostly olive, avocado and coconut oil), and I find that using some shea makes for a harder bar, while the recipes I made without shea, took longer before I could unmold them, and even then they stayed soft for a long time. But don't take my word for it, I'm a new soaper and my experience is limited.

Good to know because I don't use palm either. Thank you.

Yes, IME it does make a difference. I do not find it to be similar to lard in soap at all. Shea butter is fine but I have read (not experienced it myself) that shea can contribute to ash. I personally very much prefer cocoa butter in my formulas, but too much of any of them can cut lather. 10-15% is noticeable, much more than that can be too much.

I'm actually still working on a good base recipe that has everything I look for, both in the quality of the soap and the cost to me as a soap maker.

The decision to go palm-free was influenced by my soaping buddy. Personally, I think it's a catch-22, I'm aware of the issues surrounding palm oil, but there are so many oils that may have ethical issues related to the production. I mean, how do I know that shea butter doesn't involve child labour? Then again, if that child isn't working, will he eat that night? I could lose my mind thinking about it too much.

Since we're also interested in using only natural colours and essential oils, we have fewer raw materials to play with, but our idea is not unique, and some soapers make beautiful natural vegetarian/vegan palm-free soap.

it does make a difference, and it can mean a little or a lot to different skin types. the most noticeable would be to your hardness and to your creaminess, lowering your iodine also. those subtle difference 10% makes may be unnoticeable to many but to some its noticeable. i do not use it in all of my soaps and the recipes that i do use it in is at a range of 10% up to 20%.
can i notice 10% ? i would say yes , only in my recipes because i tend to try to get bubbly above creamy but at an even match , like a forest with under-brush , it just looks good to me.

That said, I did use cocoa butter in the dental soap that I made because of the potential dental benefits

how did that work for you ? Dental soap seems to be a project few people are working on. some with CO and some without [ most saying it gives a bad taste while others don't get that opinion ] . i myself am still working on a recipe, just trying to create a dental soap as a base that close to toothpaste or something that's is applicable and practical

It does to me. I'm sensitive to shea; even at 10% I can see the negative effects. I'd guess the majority of people who benefit from it would see the positive effects at that level as well.

I've only done 13 batches - using 12 different recipes. Of my 3 top favorites, 2 of them contained shea (but also palm). They were harder than my non-butter soaps made with palm, and left a definite layer of superfat on my skin, which I like for hand washing.

If I remember correctly, shea has the highest amount of unsaponifiables.

Because of the expense, I was hoping that shea wouldn't add much to the soap; but as I said they are my favorite.

(My other favorite is a bastille; I was inspired by cmzaha's preference of using a low superfat, but low cleansing bar, and I'm very happy with it. )

Yes, 10% shea is noticeable is one uses no lard, tallow, or palm. The same with 10% cocoa butter. There is sensitivity to each one, so I just alternate them, or use my virgin cocoa butter when i don't mind a bit of a cocoa scent.

The shea and/or cocoa will noticeably harden the bar and make the soap last longer.

Back