Do you worry about your product potentially harming customers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cococamila

Reaction score
I make hair bows and for 10 years I have worried. Still do even though I have this craft down packed and can do it with my eyes closed. I worry about lil ones choking on a small piece. My pieces are of great quality not because I want customers to pay for a nice product but because I want them to pay for a safe product. Labeling is a must but do you worry?
In this industry the bath and body it's really scary. These are meant to go on someone's body and in the candle making in someone's home. I made lip balms and lotion bars for personal use and given some if not a lot away to family and co workers. Now they want to buy and I am scared because I don't know all the ropes. I did advice them when I have it to them that it was a new thing for me and I'm not an expert etc.

This is going to drive me nuts!!!

I worry about everything, LOL! When I make plaster art I worry it will crumble and the customer will complain or return it. When I make soap I worry friends and family will hit some hidden lye pocket and burn themselves. When I worked in forestry I worried I would fail quality control tests and lose my contract.

So far, in 20 years of forestry consulting I've never failed a quality control test, in 2 years of plaster art, nothing I've given away or sold has crumbled or cracked and as a beginner soap maker, until now none of my soaps has hurt anyone.

I should stop worrying .. will I? NO! Worry is what makes me careful instead of sloppy, it makes me safe instead of stupid. Because of that worry I still have all my fingers and toes after 20 years of handling a chainsaw! Waay back in my junior days a teacher taught me scared people stay alive, people who stop being scared get reckless and end up dead. I've kept that lesson with me through life. Not that soap can kill .. but you get my meaning.

If you are experienced and test your products for safety, it should be fine.

That said, I won't sell lotion, even to friends, because you never know when a preservative failure will happen. Hasn't yet, but I'm chicken.

I worry about everything, LOL! When I make plaster art I worry it will crumble and the customer will complain or return it. When I make soap I worry friends and family will hit some hidden lye pocket and burn themselves. When I worked in forestry I worried I would fail quality control tests and lose my contract.

So far, in 20 years of forestry consulting I've never failed a quality control test, in 2 years of plaster art, nothing I've given away or sold has crumbled or cracked and as a beginner soap maker, until now none of my soaps has hurt anyone.

I should stop worrying .. will I? NO! Worry is what makes me careful instead of sloppy, it makes me safe instead of stupid. Because of that worry I still have all my fingers and toes after 20 years of handling a chainsaw! Waay back in my junior days a teacher taught me scared people stay alive, people who stop being scared get reckless and end up dead. I've kept that lesson with me through life. Not that soap can kill .. but you get my meaning.

20 years of handling a chain saw!! Yikes I run at the sound of those things. Kudos to you.
I to will worry forever but the worry is keeping me from even considering venturing into soap making not even MP.

If you are experienced and test your products for safety, it should be fine.

That said, I won't sell lotion, even to friends, because you never know when a preservative failure will happen. Hasn't yet, but I'm chicken.

I hear you. When I do research on something I usually start with the don'ts and body and bath has tons of them so I'm intimidated. My lotion bars were made with beeswax, coconut oil and almond oil. Hopefully there's no hazard there.

of course. even though i made sure each and every piece of soap that i decided to sell was safe and 'sell worthy', i know that i'm only human and is not free from mistakes.
i think that to keep a certain degree of worry is needed for me to always be on the alert. like i said, we're only humans, and sometimes we make mistakes.

Back