Donating hygiene products in UK

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babyshoes

Reaction score
As a fairly new soap maker, I'm finding that despite making small batches, I already have more soap than I can realistically give to friends and family, but I don't want to stop making it. I'm even packing some today to send to family overseas! There are of course also the odd test batches which either don't look great for some reason, or have a scent that I'm not so keen on after all.

I also am nowhere near ready to start selling, nor do I want to pay for an assessment which will tie me into one basic recipe with a few variations in scent and colour. If it was cheaper I might, but it's pretty pricey.
Maybe one day I will decide to do some markets/sell online etc, but for now it's a fun hobby which produces something I can give away as a useful present.

I'm sure my soap is *safe* to use (unless someone has an allergy), as I test the end pieces on myself before I give any away to my loved ones.

One solution I've found is a charity called The Hygiene Bank, which is like a food bank. They've confirmed to me that they'll accept handmade soap without an assessment, as long as I include a list of ingredients in case of allergies. There are drop off points in many Boots pharmacies and stores around the country.
I'm planning to buy some small printable stickers and print some basic ingredients lists for this purpose, and I'll hand write the scent on the front.

I didn't think to ask about other handmade items, but I bet the rules would be similar - do contact them to check first though. I've included a link to show the types of items they need.

https://thehygienebank.com/give-products/

Such a great idea! I wonder if there are any similar things in Ireland? I'll have to do some research!

Sorry to burst your bubble but you absolutely cannot donate unassessed cosmetic products to charity. It is a clear breach of the cosmetic regulations and both you and the charity could be liable if something went wrong.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you absolutely cannot donate unassessed cosmetic products to charity. It is a clear breach of the cosmetic regulations and both you and the charity could be liable if something went wrong.

Oh well that sucks. I wonder if they're unaware of the regulations or just so desperate for the donations that they're willing to overlook them?

They've confirmed to me that they'll accept handmade soap without an assessment, as long as I include a list of ingredients in case of allergies.
With due respect to @LilyJo, I think you have the answer. If they will accept handmade soap, perhaps they aren't a "charity by legal definition". I wouldn't give it a second thought. Donate away.

On the other hand, when I got to the point in my first year where I had more soap than I could give away, I had a garage sale and made enough $$ to pay for supplies the next year. I did this for my first 4 years and always made enough ($300-$500) to keep me in supplies for the following year. I was determined that my "hobby" should pay its own way. :D

... both you and the charity could be liable if something went wrong.

This has got me wondering, is cold process soap really so potentially dangerous?

I can understand that you don't want folks selling lye heavy soap, or soap that isn't properly labelled in case of allergies, but apart from those, what else could go so very wrong (in a soap that follows safe usage rates for fragrance and colours), that it might end up making someone seriously unwell?

Is DOS /rancid soap unsafe? I thought it was mostly just unpleasant. Glycerine rivers are just cosmetic, aren't they?

Should I be cautious about giving my soap to friends with kids? I'm sure I made it safely, I zap tested the first couple of batches, I have tried it on my own skin, and the kids have no known allergies...

I think I'm just a bit confused as America is generally more litigious, yet has fewer regulations in this area. 🤔

Nut and other food allergies comes to mind. I also seem to remember that Lisa in I Dream In Soap mentioned that part of the UK assessment requirements is to make sure folks are using safe and known ingredients, and that labeling is standardized. I've seen lots of discussions here about labeling that just go all over the place. So, also, things like micas are known to be safe for all over the body, etc., and that the oils are known rather than just something labeled "vegetable oil" or a mixed of used oils from a restaurant, etc. I don't sell, but if I did I might be glad I didn't have to follow the UK assessments, but then again I confess I sometimes wish we had such a thing here. Don't hate me!

To clarify. It doesn't matter whether soap is safe or not, if the charity wants to accept an unassessed product or not the law says it is not permitted.

Max £10,000 fine or potential jail time for putting product "on the market " without assessment. On the market is defined as effectively being in circulation.

The UK cosmetic regulations are very clear and I would urge anyone thinking of making, selling, donating or gifting soap in the UK and EU to understand the regs - it is vastly different from the US regs and with all due respect to all the global soapers on here, no one expects them to understand all the nuances.

If someone wants to sell, donate or give soap away it MUST be safety assessed.

This has got me wondering, is cold process soap really so potentially dangerous?

I can understand that you don't want folks selling lye heavy soap, or soap that isn't properly labelled in case of allergies, but apart from those, what else could go so very wrong (in a soap that follows safe usage rates for fragrance and colours), that it might end up making someone seriously unwell?

Is DOS /rancid soap unsafe? I thought it was mostly just unpleasant. Glycerine rivers are just cosmetic, aren't they?

Should I be cautious about giving my soap to friends with kids? I'm sure I made it safely, I zap tested the first couple of batches, I have tried it on my own skin, and the kids have no known allergies...

I think I'm just a bit confused as America is generally more litigious, yet has fewer regulations in this area. 🤔

The cosmetic regs are there for a reason and the restrictions on fragrance, colour and ingredients are there, essentially to protect the public. The definition of cosmetic- which includes soap - is wide ranging and is designed to protect consumers using a wide range of products.

I know you believe you are following safe usage rates and your soap is in all liklihood fine but if someone were to have a reaction to your product you wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Your insurance would be invalid and you would be open to prosecution for failing to follow the law.

I know people don't like it and for many outside the UK and EU it seems bizarre but it is the law.

This is so fantastic!
I love supporting charities and I love soapmaking!
I never intend to sell my soaps and I'm so pleased to have something useful come out of all the fun I'm having!

Oh poo. I've just read the replies to this thread. So I can't donate my soap after all 😭

Latest posts

Back