do you list sodium hydroxide (lye)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do you list sodium hydroxide (lye)

• yes

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • no

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

robtr31

Reaction score
in your ingredients list or do you list as saponified oils .

Canadian or American

There is no lye in my soap. It was used for the saponification process but there's none left there when I sell it. I do say "saponified oils of..."

USA

There is no lye in my soap. It was used for the saponification process but there's none left there when I sell it. I do say "saponified oils of..."

USA

Not all of the oils and butters are. So that way, you'd have to have each recipe analyzed from time to time to find out what oils ended up as superfat, in what percentage and list all of those as both saponified and intact.
Also, you'd have to list the exact percentage of water and glycerin.

I list what goes in.

I list everything used to make my soap. So, yes I list sodium hydroxide as an ingredient. I personally do not think that listing soponified oils of... is being totally truthful but that's my personal feeling. Even though there shouldn't be any left in the finished product it is used to make the product. Again, it's up to each individual on how they choose to list it.

I list it as sodium hydroxide and list every ingredient no matter how small. I am a retired nurse and don't want some one with an allergy to say coconut oil to suffer a reaction to my soap. I sell some for resale and insist that even though they re-label my soap that they list the ingredients as well. I educate customers that "without lye there is no soap" and that works well for me.

My label has INCI Saponified Terms for my saponified oils: Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Oliviate etc.

I don't sell mine.. but when I do get around to it I planned to list sodium hydroxide. It doesn't take a customer but a min to figure out online that soap has to have sodium hydroxide. Customers run the gamut and there is always the chance that one will think it looks dishonest. kwim?
If there is no lye left at the end it does argue the point as to why list it at all then? I think some customers just want to know you're fully upfront about your products and believe in your recipes and final results, not shying away from anything. Knowing lye is in there and still saying they are perfectly fine to use, is a good thing. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I do list sodium hydroxide (lye) as one of my ingredients, according to health Canada form what I read, what you put in is your ingredients on packaging, not what it turns in to or becomes, I could be wrong with regulations here in Canada.

I don't sell soap I give it away and it's good practice to put labels on my soap for when or if I do sell to people that receive now also in case of allergies.

I was not trying pick on any one or any thing like that was looking for some opinions

thanks for the poll and the opinions

What I put in my soap pot is what is on my label in INCI nomenclature. I'm in the USA

I list everything that goes into my soap, including sodium hydroxide. I also educate my customers on what it is, and how amazing it is.

And the few customers that have said "oh, so and so's soap doesn't use lye, she told me so."? I encourage them to research for themselves and discover that oh, yes it does. And her customers are now my customers - her soap may be great, but once the lie is discovered, all credibility is lost. This wasn't my intention at all, but it's kinda karmic anyway - she lied to her customers' faces and told them she used no lye, I can't save you when you hang yourself with your own rope, KWIM? (And no, not a negative word passed my lips. That is not who I am as a business owner.)

So much of our businesses and our brands are built on customer confidence. If the customer feels you aren't confident enough in the safety of your product to list its actual ingredients, they'll go elsewhere. Maybe not right away, but I have found that handmade soap patrons are passionately interested in trying and learning new things. And eventually, the "lie by omission" is discovered. To me, that is not worth it.

I don't sell my soap as yet, but I have no plans to change my labels when I do. I list my ingredients in order of percentage and I just call it "Lye"...mainly out of sheer laziness, but somewhat out of my desire for complete disclosure.
My response now and will always be: "You can't make soap without lye and anyone who tells you differently is either "lying" (pun intended) to your face or is completely ignorant of the process of soapmaking....neither of which would encourage me personally to put a whit of confidence in ANY of their products." I know my products inside and out, and I'll be more than willing to explain the process to any customer of why lye is a good thing!
But then again, when I do start selling, my soapmaking business will not be my main source of income, so I have the luxury of calling it how I see it without worrying about losing a potential customer.

I don't sell either but when I do swaps and have to make a label, I list everything that went into the soap, including lye or sodium hydroxide. I use either term. I figure that you're supposed to list the ingredients, which to me means what went in, not what it became. Just my opinion.

I too put it on the label. I am not afraid to answer questions when someone asks me what it is or why I use it. It is a part of the process and is the nature of the beast.
USA

Back