Do you have to have your soaps 4 surfaces smooth

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
(unless you do a texture top of course)? It can be hard to fit a paper label smoothly over a ripply or rough side. I sometimes don't pour the soap right on time either so that side hardens a little blobby.

My 4 sides are all smooth. It's easier for me to wrap them that way with my chosen packaging. My tops that come out a little bumpy get shaved smooth with my handy planer.

IrishLass :)

I like the ridged cut for some soaps and others I prefer smooth. But I don't worry about packaging. I generally put the soap in a paper bag for people to take home. When I want a little fancier as a gift, I put the bar in a cellophane bag and twist tie with a silver twisty tie. I have added some crinkly shredded paper into the bag and then added curly ribbon around the tie to make it fancier.

No, not ready to sell. Just making gifts. Thanks. I think the thicker the paper, maybe the less concern about unsmoothness.

The "Are you ready to sell" is in my sig line. I wasn't asking. :lol:

I just have it there to direct people to Mandolyn's info on being prepared to sell.

I think how a bar looks is more personal preference. I have some perfect bars, some with fancy tops and others that are just 100% rustic looking, it depends on the fragrance I am using and what I want the outcome to be... plus it's always nice to change things around a bit. :)

It is a very personal preference. I prefer them to smooth on my cut edges as well as the outer edges. The tops are usually texture however there are times I like an absolutely smooth top. I also like to have rounded edges so I trim them down.... again personal preference.

I think that's a good question, Hazel. One I ask myself if I have batches come out dependably each time I make them. But then there's business license, insurance, paper that you want to buy in bulk and ink, plus all the soapmaking supplies themselves. Then to find buyers....

I guess I hope for a smooth top for show and the sides are generally smooth if I cut them right. Sometimes I've accidentally plunged a finger nail into a bar reaching for it. And so I have pretty short nails these days! :wink:

they have really cute soap boxes at wsp, if your top isnt too tall it will fit.

Back