Do I need a digital scale that goes to tenths?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Reaction score
I bought a £7 digital scale from ASDA, but it doesn't go to tenths Do I really need to get one that does?

Metric, probably not. But it's nice to have. Mine does not do tenths in grams, but does in ounces. I have noticed that the more soap made the more accuracy desired. I'm looking at scales from Old Will Knott that measure grams in tenths. If you want to and can spend more money, greater accuracy is never a bad thing.

Yes. Many recipes have ingredients that measure in the tenths and if you are having to guess you can expect many failed batches. Can you exchange your scale?

Not unless you are doing really small batches (like one bar test batches) and are measuring really small amounts. I use the gram units on my scale (with no tenths) and so far everything has turned out great. If my recipe calls for something like 145.6 grams, I'll measure out to 145, then put a teeny bit more in (as long as it doesn't go to 146g). If the decimal part is less than 5 tenths, I pretty much ignore it.

Dennis said:
Metric, probably not. But it's nice to have. Mine does not do tenths in grams, but does in ounces. I have noticed that the more soap made the more accuracy desired. I'm looking at scales from Old Will Knott that measure grams in tenths. If you want to and can spend more money, greater accuracy is never a bad thing.

One ounce is about 28 grams. So a tenth of an ounce is equivalent to about 2.8 grams. Using grams is therefore more precise. So if you measure to just a whole gram, it will probably still be more accurate than using ounces and measuring in tenths. Again, the larger the batch the less it becomes important. I usually soap in 2 - 3 pound batches, and have never had any trouble. I've even done a few 400 gram batches (which is a little less than a pound), and again, no trouble. I'd like to do some one bar experiments, but for that I would like to use a metric scale that measures in tenths.

rubyslippers said:
Yes. Many recipes have ingredients that measure in the tenths and if you are having to guess you can expect many failed batches. Can you exchange your scale?

Only if you are measuring in ounces, or doing really small batches.

I have the same scale - it is fine and surprisingly accurate for it's price. Good tip though, check weekly at Asda and when it comes on sale, grab a couple of them. They do last well, but the surface is not EO/FO resistant, so they can look quite manky after a while. I used my last one for 2 years (cooking and soap making), but then it really started to look like it needed replacing. It was still measuring accurately (I occasionally check against my trade scale, just to be sure)

madpiano said:
I have the same scale - it is fine and surprisingly accurate for it's price. Good tip though, check weekly at Asda and when it comes on sale, grab a couple of them. They do last well, but the surface is not EO/FO resistant, so they can look quite manky after a while. I used my last one for 2 years (cooking and soap making), but then it really started to look like it needed replacing. It was still measuring accurately (I occasionally check against my trade scale, just to be sure)

That reminds me, I saw a picture somewhere of a scale being used to weigh up soap ingredients on a kitchen counter and the scale was inside a ziploc bag to keep oils and other funk off of it. The scale was still very readable through the plastic bag. A good hint I believe.

Dennis said:
madpiano said:

That reminds me, I saw a picture somewhere of a scale being used to weigh up soap ingredients on a kitchen counter and the scale was inside a ziploc bag to keep oils and other funk off of it. The scale was still very readable through the plastic bag. A good hint I believe.

I recommend against it. I used that idea for a while and ruined a few batches because the bag can mess up your measurements. I have heard a few other people say that as well. I often lay a paper towel on the measuring tray and that works to keep it cleaner.

ToniD said:
Dennis said:
madpiano said:

I recommend against it. I used that idea for a while and ruined a few batches because the bag can mess up your measurements. I have heard a few other people say that as well. I often lay a paper towel on the measuring tray and that works to keep it cleaner.

Ah, yes. I see now. Thanks. I didn't think that one out. Paper towel it is.

Dennis said:

I got a scale from Old Will Knott so that I could measure grams in tenths. I don't find a use for it for soap, but I do use it for bnb products. I will recommend, thought, that you pay lots of attention to the tray size when you order. We got the biggest we could and it is still pretty tiny. I think if I had it to do over I would have gotten the scale at the local grocery store--escali, good brand, for less $$. It measures to .1 instead of .01 but it is less touchy. I find the old will knotts .01 gram one to be very delicate. In fact, I had to get a second one cuz the first died in shipping. The company was great about it, and sent the second out before even having me return the first. But, I am hoping it survives on my soaping shelf.

Back