do HLB calculators really help or just complicate things?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden

Reaction score
I came across the HLB calculator on Wholesale Supplies Plus ...never used on before. A week ago I made a 50 gram test batch with a new emulsifier I am trying. It came out beautifully IMO. Out of curiosity, I plugged it into this HLB calculator and it said the formula was not balanced. The emulsifier I am trying was not listed but the HLB is stated as 14-15 so I just picked one that had a similar #. The new emulsifier I am trying (INCI name: Hydroxystearyl Alcohol and Hydroxystearyl Glucoside; trade name Simlugreen 18-2) sounds like a 'complete' emulsifer to me but the info does say that an additional stablizer might be required. I opted to use Glyceryl Stearate which is also a low HLB emulsifier.

I recently came across a blog post from Formula Botanica saying HLB really is not a big concern with modern & plant based ingredients ...at least that's what I get out of it. As long as you know the emulsifier you're using fits this application (https://formulabotanica.com/what-is-hlb-and-why-should-you-ignore-it/) ...but this leads me to ask - why do most complete emulsifiers have such a high HLB ?

Last edited:
Back