DIY car air fresheners

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I hate to waste even a drop of expensive FOs, when I'm ready to throw away an "empty"bottle, I know there are always a couple of drops left, so I turn the bottles upside down on a paper towel to let every last drop drain out.

What a great idea! I also hate wasting anything, even the drops of FO that won't come out of the bottles, so I took your idea a step further. BB sells something called Nature Fix. It's an inexpensive blend of corn grit and cellulose fiber that is used in potpourri as a fragrance fixative. I put a couple of teaspoons of that into an empty FO jar, shook it up, and let it sit for an hour to really soak up those drops. Then I poured that into a little organza bag and tied it onto my rearview mirror. My car smells amazing and the fragrance really lasts. Now I have a use for all those empty/not-really-empty FO jars that were waiting to be washed out! Win-win!

Amazing to find this thread, as I've been trying to think of something like this for weeks. I had been thinking of using the thin pieces of cedar that often come packaged with cigars - the ones that are as thin and bendy as card stock - and putting some FO on it.

Thanks!

Inspired by this thread, I went ahead and made a truck freshener. Looking through my old cigar boxes, I found a bit of internal packaging in sort of a wand shape a little thicker than I'd been thinking this afternoon and went with that. Sanded it down and rounded it off until it looks a bit like the old style, stick incense burners - but without the bend. About 4cm wide and 15cm long. Added 16 drops of the Tobacco & Bay FO from BB, rubbed it in and let it absorb fully. Then I hung it from my rearview with jute twine. It's too dark for a pic now, but I'll try to remember one tomorrow. I'm interested to see how strong it smells after marinating over night, but it will surely smell manly.

I must say I'm surprised how NOT strong the scent was with 16 drops. I was afraid I'd come out to the car this morning to an overwhelming scent, but it's very subtle and nice. I tried taking a few pics, but I couldn't get one that showed it off any better than my description; it's pretty simple, after all.

Overall, I'd say it worked very well.

Air fresheners are one of my best sellers.
I get aroma beads and put them in a zip lock. I first add my fragrance. I usually let it set for about 3 weeks, turning the bag daily. After the beads are no longer wet I add color. I use liquid candle color. Then I get out my cookie sheet pan, cutters and a large nail. The sheet and cutters I use only for my fresheners. I put whatever cookie cutter I want to use then fill it 3/4 full of beads. I set the nail in place where I want the hole. I then put them in the oven on 350 for 3 to 5 minutes.take it out of the oven, let it cool. Remove the nail and pop it out of the cutter. Add an elastic tie thru the hole. My biggest sellers are a cross, fleur de lis, and deer head.

Aroma beads? Hadn't heard of those...where do you get them (if you don't mind sharing supplier?) I only found premade ones on google...and nothing about being able to melt them in an oven!

Air fresheners are one of my best sellers.
I get aroma beads and put them in a zip lock. I first add my fragrance. I usually let it set for about 3 weeks, turning the bag daily. After the beads are no longer wet I add color. I use liquid candle color. Then I get out my cookie sheet pan, cutters and a large nail. The sheet and cutters I use only for my fresheners. I put whatever cookie cutter I want to use then fill it 3/4 full of beads. I set the nail in place where I want the hole. I then put them in the oven on 350 for 3 to 5 minutes.take it out of the oven, let it cool. Remove the nail and pop it out of the cutter. Add an elastic tie thru the hole. My biggest sellers are a cross, fleur de lis, and deer head.

Can I ask how you package them? I've been thinking about these but was wondering about the best way to package.

Latest posts

Back