Disposing of Aluminum/Lye Combination

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsritchie

Reaction score
Alright. I made a really stupid mistake. This was my first attempt at making soap, and I poured my soap into an aluminum mold. In all the things I read before I tried to make soap I never saw anything that said there would be a reaction between aluminum and lye! Obviously, I now know that there is.

How do I dispose of it? The soap has sort-of hardened in the mold, but I don't want to take any chances and just dispose of the whole thing in my garbage can. I read something about vinegar neutralizing lye, but I wasn't sure if that would have any effect on the lye/aluminum combination.

Thanks so much for y'all's help!

I would just toss it in the garbage. There shouldn't be any problem. You need to use stainless, lined boxes with freezer paper, wood molds lined or silicone. What a way to learn. Sorry this happened.

I'm pretty sure there's a video on youtube from soaping101 where she didnt line her pringles can mold. I think it was the ying yang charcoal/dead sea mud soap. The inside of a pringles can is alumunium.

I reckon the soap is still safe to use, and the problem is only cosmetic. Dont quote me on this though. Wait for more experienced soapers to chime in.

At the very least, you can still use it to make laundry soap. So, dont toss it just yet.

There's aluminum foil on the inside of a pringles can, but theres actually a thin layer of plastic OVER the aluminum foil so thats most likely why there was no reaction when done on soaping 101. I've made 4 batches in pringles cans so far and each one I ended up having to cut off the soap and I've seen the layer of plastic peel off the aluminum.

First, I would take a deep breath.

Lye + aluminum can cause an explosive chemical reaction in the presence of high heat or a flame. That hasn't happened. From what you say, I suspect you didn't line your mold and I suspect it didn't blow up.

Put the whole thing in the freezer overnight. Then try to remove the soap by flexing the mold and hopefully it will pop up.

The surface will probably be discolored. You can peel that off with a planer or veggie peeler and the remaining soap should be fine to use.

There is no reason to discard your aluminum pan. Wash it well with dish washing detergent and a scrub brush.

I agree with Judy, I'd just remove the outer layer that was in contact with the aluminum.

And pringles cans have a plastic lining.

Latest posts

Back