Discussion about mold and way to unmold.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giangxamar

Reaction score
There are some kinds of mold that I have tried so far for Cp soap and this is what I think about them.

_I have used heavy duty mold for my last batch - salt soap. I have 2 of those so I put one in the fridge (not freezer) and one on top of the room heater.
People told me that if I put my plastic mold in the fridge an then hot water, I can take my soap out easily. I tried. It did not work for me. But surprisingly, the one I put on top of my heater can be unmolded in 24 hour without even a try. I turned it over and the soap flipped out. Note that I dont use anything to coat my molds before pouring soap in.

I think the reason for this is: The heavy duty molds are more flexible than soap. In the cold, both shrink but the mold does more, so they become fastened. In the warmth, both rise their size but the mold does more so they become loosen and soap flip out.

_I have used small silicon molds with beautiful shape. My recipe then was with high percentage of castor oil and cure slowly. I coated a layer of grapeseed oil before pouring. I couldnt unmoud them even after 3 days. They broke in small, wet pieces in the bottom, and cant take the pattern of the mold at all. Since then I decided not to use them for CP soap anymore.

_I have used individual plastic mold. The same batch that was with high percentage of castor oil. I coated a layer of grapeseed oil before pouring. After a week the bottom part was still in liquid stage. I was so disappointed, almost broke my mold to get the soap out. Finally I used blade to get the part that has harden out, leave the liquid part in the mold. The next day the liquid part hardened.

So I think the reason for this is: The mold prevent soap to "breath", to release water, to cure. The hardened part block all the way for bottom part to "breath". It get fixed right when I removed the hardened part. So I think next time I'll pour less into that mold or not using it at all.

_I have used silicon tray molds. I have 2. One is the long one for bread or cooking or something, another is cube shape. I like the cube shape better because it is more firm and bring the same width for my whole batch. The long one is too flexible so when I pour my soap full in that, the middle part start swelling. Plus I have problem of gelling using the long silicon tray mold.

I havent use wooden tray mold (yes, sorry for my disobey :">) I would really one to have one, but I need to find them first. I think it's the best mold for CP soap making.

I am no expert, but try coating your mold(s) with mineral oil instead of grapeseed oil. Mineral oil will not saponify, while grapeseed oil will.

With the silicon mold and gel, I have read that some have a harder time reaching gel. Try sticking them in an oven on low heat (140) for an hour, then turn the oven off. That seems to help.

Latest posts

Back