discolorization or DOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
picture on the right is the first soap I made and it developed DOS which I thought happened cuz I goofed and didn't use distilled water. the one on the left is one I made 5 weeks ago. my camera doesn't take very good soap pics but I hope you can see the top of the soap on the left that has turned kinda reddish, purplish (not spotty but the whole thing) and it looks like there are some of the same colored spots in the lemon part also (this soap is HP and the other is CP). I have only had this show up in the soaps that I have used poppyseeds in--has anybody had discoloration from poppyseeds.
20190312_115116.jpg

For the one on the right, that doesn't look like DOS to me, however, did they just develop or have they been there since cutting? If it's HP to me it looks like possible dried soap that you might have scraped from the sides of the pot that got incorporated into the soap bar.

The one on the right however, those orange spots look like they definitely could be DOS, but am unsure.

It's really hard to tell but I'm voting on the side of DOS on the right. The left it's more hard to tell, I see the discoloration but I've not seen DOS cover a large section of soap. So, not sure on that one.

For the one on the right, that doesn't look like DOS to me, however, did they just develop or have they been there since cutting? If it's HP to me it looks like possible dried soap that you might have scraped from the sides of the pot that got incorporated into the soap bar.

The one on the right however, those orange spots look like they definitely could be DOS, but am unsure.

yeah the one on the left does have a few bits from the sides of the pot but the top part is the one that has more of the off color and it wasn't like that last week--there is a little of the same color in the bottom but its hard to see.

I'm trying to find that website where I read that poppy seeds discolor after a few weeks but they didn't say what color nor if it spread out that way.. Let me go hunt more.

I've not used micas in HP yet but I noticed in a lighter colored bar, I always have darker bits and lighter ones. Must be my process but I've always assumed the lighter bits are dried up soap from the top and sides, and the darker bits are soap that gelled sooner than the rest. Not sure where I got this idea though hahaha

I don't think the left bar has the same coloring as the one with DOS but am wondering if DOS is different shades--good point on DOS not covering that amount of the bar Shunt

I'm trying to find that website where I read that poppy seeds discolor after a few weeks but they didn't say what color nor if it spread out that way.. Let me go hunt more.

I've not used micas in HP yet but I noticed in a lighter colored bar, I always have darker bits and lighter ones. Must be my process but I've always assumed the lighter bits are dried up soap from the top and sides, and the darker bits are soap that gelled sooner than the rest. Not sure where I got this idea though hahaha

thanks Dawni--I used to scrape the pot side but I am thinking on the next time I do HP I am leaving the sides alone. I haven't done HP in a while but need to make a batch next week so I need to be aware of the scraping

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Dawni--I used to scrape the pot side but I am thinking on the next time I do HP I am leaving the sides alone. I haven't done HP in a while but need to make a batch next week so I need to be aware of the scraping
I always scrape hehe it adds to the marbling/stone effect that seems to be becoming my signature style. It hides a lot of imperfections hahaha

I always scrape hehe it adds to the marbling/stone effect that seems to be becoming my signature style. It hides a lot of imperfections hahaha

have you used any beer in HP? I have a batch to make for a friend and then I wanna experiment with some beer. I have used a lot of honey and added before molding so I was thinking of getting the beer syrupy and using it like I use honey. maybe add some yogurt to thin it out some. I am excited to do HP again

And it's good soap. I love using those dried bits from HP, and I actually really like the look of them in HP soaps.

have you used any beer in HP? I have a batch to make for a friend and then I wanna experiment with some beer. I have used a lot of honey and added before molding so I was thinking of getting the beer syrupy and using it like I use honey. maybe add some yogurt to thin it out some. I am excited to do HP again
Seems like everyone is doing beer soap this week. I prepared mine yesterday but wasn't able to use it. It's been boiled down to a syrup and will add it after cooking too, just like I did honey. Good luck!

Back