discoloration issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honor435

Reaction score
i made baby powder and it turned so ugly brown and i had colored it blue, so yucky, what do i do to stop this? Is it the fo?

Yep. Fragrances with a high enough vanilla content in them are notorious for turning soap brown. Certain suppliers sell something called Vanilla Stabilizer to add to fragrances that contain vanilla in order to help stop the browning. I think BitterCreekNorth sells one. I've never personally used it, but maybe those who have will chime in with their experiences with it.

I hate my soap turning brown, and so what I do before I consider buying a scent is I check it out on the ScentReviewBoard first to see if anyone has reported that it discolors.

IrishLass :)

barefootbody said:
I think the Vanilla Stabilizer is only for MP soap, not CP or HP. I avoid Vanilla as a fragrance.

what does van. stabilizer do... (the obvious meaning that pops up to me is help to stabilize the vanilla scent in the soap??)

IanT said:
what does van. stabilizer do... (the obvious meaning that pops up to me is help to stabilize the vanilla scent in the soap??)

It actually is supposed to help prevent the vanilla from turning brown in your soap.

IrishLass :)

ahaaaaaaaa so thaaaaaaaaats what all the hype is about :)

i have yet to work with vanilla but i do have some on hand so... :)

It just took me 15 minutes to find this on their very difficult to navigate web site but BCN carries a vanilla stabilizer that works in CP as well as M&P. I have only used it in CP and I have had really good results...not perfect, but really good. Some vanillas will still tan out but at least I don't get that fudge brown color. I don't mind that color myself but I think it is a bit off-putting to others not in this soaping world of ours. This stuff stinks but it does not seem to change the way the soap smells once it is out of the mold. I use an equal amount of the stabilizer to the FO and I mix it in with the FO and then add the whole lot to the soap at thin trace. I usually add my FO to my oils before adding the lye water but somehow I was afraid of how the lye would affect this stuff hitting it head on. It does work but don't expect a really white soap. I was afraid that it was gone from the web site, but with some creative poking, I found it again.

Do you remember what is was called? Or the chemical composition of it? Other than the FO I use, I try to stay all natural as much as possible . .

I've only used two scents with vanilla, Spellbound from BB, that turned a very ugly brown in CP soap, & French Vanilla Pear, which I only used for body products to date, neither scent has been good sellers for me.

it's called Vanilla Stabilizer and the INCI is simply "fragrance"; it's as natural as Spellbound or French Vanilla Pear ;)

I also have issues with Vanilla, I love the fragrance, can't get enough of it, but it took me time to get used to the mud brown colour so why should I expect anyonet o walk up and want to buy on sight.
Once my personal batch of vanilla fragrance is gone I plan on experimenting with different products and combinations to get a more pleasing shade.

I generally like the scent of vanilla, I do like the scent of the Spellbound, but it is really an ugly bar!!!

If you do play around & find a way to make the color more acceptable, please be sure to post your results!

Barefoot

Back