Disaster.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
x

it is so easy to only publish our successes instead of our failures! (so much better for our egos), but i am grateful for the honesty here in our forum to admit our flops, too.

i've learned more from my own admitted failures, along with the rest of our happy group, than reading a THOUSAND books on soapmaking.

i made 2 logs that i've always had success with, but because of a "touchy" f/o, i didn't gel-and alas, even after almost 3 weeks in the mold (i've been on the road) it was still too gooey to slice.

these "personal soaping insights" all help us become better soapers.

imho, park the arrogance of a couple of successful batches.

Deda, I know how you feel, I have cut a batch of soap that I put in the freezer to prevent gel, well it prevented gel but I got zapped - hard.
And boy did that sting my hands. Sounds like you didn't get your hands on the bottom of it, just the top. If that lye water got on your nails it would have stripped the varnish right off, ask me how I know that one!
But your hands must have been sore for you to have to wear gloves all day, Tanya's right, maybe some butter or avocado oil rubbed right in.
And as sorry as I am for your bad batch, it's good to know that for as long as you've been doing this, you still have the odd batch that doesn't do as it's told.
Makes me feel soooo much better for all my mishaps.
That **** soap has a life of it's own sometimes!

Deda, I'm sorry about your hands and soap. Not to sound rude, but it does help us with A LOT less experience to feel a little better when a seasoned expert can have a disaster too. I sure hope your hands are much better.

Jody said:
Deda, I'm sorry about your hands and soap. Not to sound rude, but it does help us with A LOT less experience to feel a little better when a seasoned expert can have a disaster too. I sure hope your hands are much better.

:lol: :lol: I'm no where near a seasoned expert. I learn something new every single day.

Oh, Chrissy - I had my hands right in it. Dripping liquid. I never wear polish, only UV gel. I will have to tip the girl who does my nail extra next week.

Honestly, I've thought about it a lot today and I consider it a testament to handmade soap and the simple act of soaping.

I love the feel of the oils, I love to drizzle a little on my hands and rub it in.
To my senses that is heaven, fresh raw oil or butter. Straight. Unscented.

When I get a new oil first thing I do is palm a bit and massage it in, sometimes on me, sometimes on DH.

Despite nearly constant hand washing :lol: I love to test, the skin on my hands is normally quite supple and it would have been much worse after my little lye bath had I not been using raw oils every day. My skin is healthier because of the oils and the acid mantle was able quickly restore.

I absolutely agree with that, and the oils that you have been using to rub into your hands have no doubt moisturised on a much deeper level, some oils can penetrate quite deeply below into the dermis.
I know that every year beauty companies come out with new products that are meant to be miracles in jars, but personally I think getting back to the raw basic products is much better for our skin, and our wallets.
I would much rather use a natural oil for my face, than a product with synthetic detergents, preservatives colours fragrance and god knows what else.

Back