Different Way of Adding Color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mom2tyler

Reaction score
Has anyone tried adding color (mica) to the lye THEN adding to water?
I usually add color at trace but I'm looking for a different look.

Thanks! Happy Saturday:)

Something a bit more translucent than adding it at trace.
I will try with a small batch.

I'm making sandalwood and lavender and I wanted to add a bit of cocoa powder for some color....but not exactly solid like you get with adding color at trace.

Wouldn't you get the same effect as adding the mica to the water and then adding the lye? When I'm making a solid colored bar, I always add my color to the water, stir, then add the lye and stir.

If I'm doing a solid color, I just mix my mica in the oil before adding the lye solution.

If you gel your soap, it will automatically have a more transluscent look to it (unless you also add TD to it, that is).

I suppose you could add the mica directly to the lye before adding it to the water, but I bet dollars to donuts that it's not going to make any difference in the transluscency/opaqueness of your soap than if you just mix the color into your water first instead (before adding the lye).

If I'm doing a solid color, I mix the color in a small bit of my of water amount, and then I stickblend it right into my oils before adding the lye. It always comes out transluscent as long as I gel, and also as long as I didn't add TD to it.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back