Differences in Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyMadison

Reaction score
Okay, so in my new found pursuit of CP and HP soap making (which I decided to take up today) I've finally settled into my reading. My question is regarding Potassium Hydroxide and Sodium Hydroxide. I seems like the difference between KOH and NAOH is that KOH is used solely for liquid soap making. Is this true?

I'm looking to ONLY make liquid soap right now, and I think this may just be some important knowledge. :think: :lol:

As far as I know potassium hydroxide is used in making liquid and cream soaps. Sodium hydroxide is used in making cp and hp soap and cream soaps.

You will find that lye calculators are set up for sodium hydroxide in making cp or hp soap and potassium hydroxide for the making of liquid or cream soap. As far as them being interchangable, I don't know. I would be afraid to attempt it.

Last edited:
You totally answered my question even though I phrased it weird. I meant in regards to treating them the same as far as handling and calculating. I have no desire to try and interchange them. Chemistry is not my preferred personal playground lol

My understanding is that they are not the same - liquid soap recipes are calculated with a lye surplus instead of discount.

Latest posts

Back