determining colorants, fragrance amounts when formaulating own recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misfities

Reaction score
Is there a good rule of thumb or a great internet site for showing how to calculate how much colorant or fragrance to use in soap? The fragrance calc on brableberry is great, but it is limited to about a third of the oils that they sell. I don't know how to gauge oils that are not listed on their site or how to gauge what i do with micas, natural colorants (like charcoal, etc). Do you have good guidance to give?

Some sites give the max percentage you can use in soap for their FO's. Generally 5-6% of your oil weight is a max but there are some exceptions. It also depends on how strongly scented you like your soap, and you have to gauge individual FO's; there are some that are very strong and will knock you flat if you use the general 5%, for instance.

Micas: the general rule of thumb is about 1 tsp ppo. Sometimes lighter colors require more. Of course you have to adjust it to the color you wish to achieve because if you want a more pastel version of that color you can use less or mix in some TD and if you want it very strong, you might use a touch more than the 1 tsp ppo.

AC: 2-3 tsp ppo seems to be the general range

Ultramarines: I don't use them that much but my recollection is that about 1/4 tsp ppo can get you where you need to go. A little tends to go a long way with ultramarines.

Thank you. That's actually a lot more helpful than stuff I've read on twenty different sites combined!

Back