Dehydrating fruit seeds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattleyabubbles

Reaction score
I went to Whole Foods this afternoon & pick up some organic oils and fresh ingredients to go into my Buffalo soap recipe. :) I don't own a food dehydrator :( ; trying to safe $$ by resorting to unconventional methods. How do you dehydrate fruit seeds in the oven (without them burning)? If anyone has done this before please pass along your helpful tips & tricks; I would like to incorporate fruit seeds into my recipe as exfoliate instead of discarding them into the trash.

To dehydrate you set your oven at 170 F put the seeds on a cookie sheet and let sit until dry. This is how I do my parsley, rosemary, roses and anything else I need.

It's worked with great success for me and I hope it works for you. I just leave it until its at the dryness I want.

Cheers
Lindy

What type of fruit seeds are you thinking of? In my experience of making jams and jellies the only seeds that are small that I have strained out of my juice for making jelly were wild blackberry (tame ones have very large seeds) and elderberry, they strain out rather well and I usually just put them into my compost pile, because they have been heated they are sterile and won't sprout. I never really thought about using them in my soap. I do remember leaving a container of elderberry seeds on the porch for a few days last summer when it was very hot and they were just like dried celery seeds in my spice rack.

Thanks Lindy & mamaT!

What type of fruit seeds are you thinking of? In my experience of making jams and jellies the only seeds that are small that I have strained out of my juice for making jelly were wild blackberry (tame ones have very large seeds) and elderberry, they strain out rather well and I usually just put them into my compost pile, because they have been heated they are sterile and won't sprout. I never really thought about using them in my soap. I do remember leaving a container of elderberry seeds on the porch for a few days last summer when it was very hot and they were just like dried celery seeds in my spice rack.

@mamaT: Nothing in particular really; mostly the fruits (e.g. honeydew) that me & my family eat on a seasonal basis, I would like to recycle into my soaps. The bigger seeds (e.g. pumpkin) I would like to ground into a very find powder.

mamaT said:

ever made beachplumb jam?? ....oooooooooogh it tastes like a cross between pomagranite and cranberry..mmmmmmm

Latest posts

Back