Deer tallow and thyme

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Here is my 100% deer tallow batch I made to compare to my 100% lard batch. I infused the tallow with a generous amount of fresh lemon thyme.

It went through 3 color stages, infused tallow was a nice green, batter turned goldenrod and after gel, it turned a pale straw color. Slow to reach trace.

Overheated very quickly and started to crack, had to uncover to complete gel. Was able to cut in 8 hours even though the loaf was still hot. Was difficult to cut with wire due to how tough the outer skin was.

There is a bit of deer smell still and a bit of lemon, both are fading. Not the nicest looking bars but the test piece made very nice lather and feels quite conditioning.

2nkhs1z.jpg

ib9e2p.jpg

291kcqf.jpg

I love them! They look creamy and beautiful! You can almost see the care that went into them. It's been nice to read about your process along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Thanks, it was quite a process but I think it was worth it. The smell is lessening and I can still smell the lemon a bit. I wish I could discribe how these bars feel, they are super hard but kind of waxy too.

You have inspired me to make deer tallow soap myself. Now just have to wait for someone to get a deer and since it is bow season now, I hope it won't be too long.

I do really like the tallow but I'd recommend adding others oils and make sure to use scent. I know its not been long yet but mine still has a slight gamey scent even though I can still smell the thyme. If it still smells like a deer in another month or so, I'm going to rebatch and scent it with lemongrass.

I made a coffee soap with 48% tallow and its feels wonderful already, I can't wait to try it in the shower.

I find swirled and peaked soap to be so aesthetically pleasing, but when using soap I find that I always stray towards the more rustic bars. There is just something about them that I love, the simplicity, the feeling of getting back to nature is hard to beat. Even if it is all in my mind :)

I was curious though about the little tiny spots in your soap. Is that DOS or something to do with the tallow? I had those tiny little spots the one and only time I used lard and I wasn't sure if they where DOS or not. The pictures that I've always seen they where more of a faded larger orange, like a drop. Hmm

Those specks are just bits of the thyme. DOS are usually larger, more orange and faded.

Hey Obsidian.. how has this been? I don't know anything about 'deer' tallow vs. general soap making tallow but I know you use different kinds a lot. Customer asked me if I'd ever make a 100% tallow soap and I have no idea how that would be. Looked up a little elsewhere then came here of course. You're one of my fav's so happy to see you've done an all tallow. LMK what you think?
Personally the smell would kill me.. thinking I could infuse with calendula to help mask it?

I've never made a 100% beef tallow bar so I don't know how the deer compares. Deer does make a really nice bar though, its super hard, like thrown it at someones head and knock them out hard. Its slightly slimy, similar to castile but not as bad. It also has more lather and is creamier then castile.
It seems really gentle at 5% SF, I've not used it a lot since the gamey smell is pretty strong. I need to rebatch and add some scent, I don't think herbal infusions will be enough. If you get fat from a doe it shouldn't smell as bad. If using beef tallow, it can retain a slight meaty smell, I'd also scent it.
Bear tallow is amazing if you can get your hands on it, not as slimey as the deer. I'm going to try and get some leaf tallow from a bear next hunting season, though I suppose its easier to buy the rendered tallow. I've seen it for sale online.

100% lard is really great, super gentle and no slime. I should try a 50/50 lard/tallow bar sometime. My go to recipe is 25% lard and even unscented, it has no animal smell.

Thanks Obsidian. :) I'll see about maybe doing a tester batch and seeing how it is in 2 weeks. The smell of my 40% lard bar even with my favorite scent added, is still gross. The scent is pretty much gone and all I smell is fat. LOL Tallow I thought was a bit lighter after making but I'll have to see. Sounds like it has potential for a nice bar!
I'd love to see how the 50/50 works for you. LMK when you do it!

Latest posts

Back