Decisions, decisions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really want a slab mold and cutter. I already picked one out. But i also like stargazing, plus i live in florida (with rocket launches!) ...i would love to have a telescope. My friend at work suggested a really good telescope, actually binoculars that are made for amateur stargazing. Both will cost about the same amt of money and now im torn.

I KNOW that i will always use the slab mold, especially if i plan on selling one day. But man, i really want to have the telescope.

And then of course my friend pointed out Jupiter and Saturn in the sky tonight and says...”you know, you would be able to see some of Jupiter’s moons with it?” Arrrgh...she had to say that

Guess i will sleep on it

Buy the telescope! It seems pretty obvious to me that you really want it. You have other molds you can use while you save the money for the slab mold.

The most expensive part of a slab mold is the wooden shell. If you, or someone you know is handy with wood working, you can make the shell at a fraction of the cost...you just need to purchase the liner or you can just line with freezer paper. That's not to say that making it is easy-peasy...ya need some math. You need to cut the wood to make sure that the inside dimensions are the same as the outside dimensions. I have two 10" Silicone Molds that have been bowing out on the sides so I had my husband make me some frames that I can set the molds into. Should have done that a year ago...they are so much easier to handle now. Total cost was around $10 for lumber, screws and some sandpaper...nothing fancy.

Get the telescope! Lol

If you have enough loaf molds... Like I don't even lol you might not really need a slab mold as much as you think you do. I've thought about it as well, but since the cutter isn't in my budget there's no point in getting a slab mold.

Or find something else you can use instead.. An old drawer, a big sturdy food container with the right number plastic (I've used this, pic somewhere in the forum if I can find it lol), the inside of an old cigar box withe the cloth stuff taken out (read that somewhere), a sturdy cardboard box that's lined really well and supported all sides, etc.

Latest posts

Back