December 2019 Un-Challenge - New to You

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the December 2019 Un-Challenge – NEW TO YOU

Since December is a busy month for many of us, we will be doing an Un-Challenge this month instead of the regular SMF monthly challenge. The theme is to make something you have never tried before. It can be a new technique, a new additive, a new ingredient, adding a pureed food, experimenting with natural colorants – or micas, a new liquid as a water replacement or trying hot process, cold process or piping. Maybe there was a previous SMF challenge you wanted to try, but haven’t yet – lots of inspiration and ideas can be found there. As long as it is something you haven’t done before – go for it.

Since this is not an official challenge, there are only two rules.

1. You must try something completely new to you.

2. Whatever you choose to make must be made after December 1, 2019.

Anyone can participate, regardless of length of membership or number of posts. You can post pictures of as many creations as you would like. If you only have time for one – show us. If you have time to do 20 – show us! Pictures can be posted on this thread. Photos of failures are just as welcome as photos of successes. If you learned something, please share.

There will not be a separate entry thread, and there will not be a vote.

Have fun and knock something off your Try This Sometime List!

I have a color I never worked with that I want to try, so this seems like the perfect moment!
I'd also like to try soaping with oils that would otherwise be thrown away , which I've never done before..(sunflower oil from canned grilled vegetables). Let's hope I'll have the time for at least one of those two;)

Since this is not an official challenge, there are only two rules.

1. You must try something completely new to you.

2. Whatever you choose to make must be made after December 1, 2019.

Second part is easy...it's December 1st. LOL

I have a 'hanger swirl' tool that I have not tried before and some Activated Charcoal that I haven't used before so maybe I can kill two birds with one stone.

Only question I have...how do we post pictures?

Second part is easy...it's December 1st. LOL

I have a 'hanger swirl' tool that I have not tried before and some Activated Charcoal that I haven't used before so maybe I can kill two birds with one stone.

Only question I have...how do we post pictures?
When you are creating a post, you will see three buttons below the window you are writing in. One is 'upload a file'. Click on that and you will have the option to upload a photo from your computer or phone.

LOL I guess it is December 1st which makes that rule redundant. I just wanted it to be clear that the soap should be made for this challenge specifically and not a picture of a 'first' made earlier. Also, I wrote that in the middle of November so it made sense at the time.

@Mobjack Bay and @MarnieSoapien I know - so many options. Do all the things!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
So...what would happen if one decided to add a smidgeon more Activated Charcoal because they might have accidentally added the Kaolin Clay to the wrong cup and it's kind of gray and if their hand slipped while they were tapping that smidgeon in and instead dumped in half a brand new jar, but did get out as much as they could? Asking for a friend.

So...what would happen if one decided to add a smidgeon more Activated Charcoal because they might have accidentally added the Kaolin Clay to the wrong cup and it's kind of gray and if their hand slipped while they were tapping that smidgeon in and instead dumped in half a brand new jar, but did get out as much as they could? Asking for a friend.
:rolling:
I guess maybe the first learning to share. Ask your friend how it turned out and let us know. Depending on how much actually went in the soap, it might be fine.

Ok, I'm sitting here laughing as I read the posts, just like Soapy I missed the "no sign up list" and Gecko, well, I have a "friend" who has done something similar and I have pictures . I want to try using my fondant extruder with soap dough for embeds. My extruder hasn't arrived yet so I have time to read about making soap dough.

Thank you, dibbles! Now I have to figure out what on my list of soap to make in the future, I have the equipment needed her in my temporary tiny house.

I do have a new tool that I won at SoapCon and have not yet used. So at least I can make soap using the new-to-me tool, although I have actually made soap with a home-made tool exactly the same kind of thing. So that wouldn't really be new.

Well, I've never made soap with tallow (being a vegetarian, I have yet to be motivated in that direction), but I'd have to buy a small enough amount that I could use it all at once since I would not want to keep it around here (not a lot of storage space in a tiny house - this is an adventure, living in a tiny house.)

Okay, I should just see if I have that list somewhere close (online, I think, so close enough.) Okay, did that and the list is much shorter than I thought. I shall have to explore for ideas and come back to this.

Oh, goody. I can bring up my soaping Bucket List. Ever since I started lurking around SMF my list is growing by leaps and bounds....it's so long now that I can't remember what is on it from week to week. This one leaves it almost wide open for me....although I've been soaping for a decade, I stuck to HP and old standby recipes. My artistic daughter has been after me to try the spin swirl, so maybe this is the time to show her I have a little bit of artist in me too!

Latest posts

Back