Daphne FO and Ylang Ylang EO not sticking

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I made a Daphne (FO) and Palmarosa (EO) CP soap back in December. It was lovely but I gave most of it away, so I made some more using the same fragrance oil in March, this time paired with Ylang Ylang EO.

The problem is, the recent one is virtually devoid of all fragrance already! After just 7 weeks! It smelt sooo delicious outta the mold. Such a shame. I have an old bar of the original one still in the 'family' bathroom, so i went in there to have a whiff of it and it still has a little bit of fragrance left. Quite light, but more than the batch I made in March.

What gives?

The FO was called 'Winter Daphne' and I cannot for the life of me see where my New Zealand supplier has sourced it from. Usually I try and hunt it down so I can read the American reviews on it, which are very helpful.

The first batch had Palmarosa EO and the second batch had Ylang Ylang EO. Can i assume that the Daphne scent faded completely in both and so did the Ylang Ylang in the second batch? Only the Palmarosa has stayed in the first batch?

Has anyone used Daphne and had these problems? What about Ylang Ylang EO?

I think I would assume that the Palmarosa is the only one of the 3 that hung on. And it sounds like that has faded quite a bit as well? I've never used anything called Daphne, but I did use Ylang Ylang EO a couple of times when I started making soap. I didn't like it too well, so when my small bottle was used up, I didn't reorder. I think it had the triple whammy for me - faded, accelerated and I didn't like it enough to order it again.

I think I would assume that the Palmarosa is the only one of the 3 that hung on. And it sounds like that has faded quite a bit as well? I've never used anything called Daphne, but I did use Ylang Ylang EO a couple of times when I started making soap. I didn't like it too well, so when my small bottle was used up, I didn't reorder. I think it had the triple whammy for me - faded, accelerated and I didn't like it enough to order it again.
I LOVE Ylang Ylang - but wonder if I should buy an FO instead of an EO.
Do y'all not have Daphne plants over in the USA? It's a beautiful strong scent.

Those are available here. And there are apparently 50 varieties, some more hardy and adaptable than others to extreme weather conditions. Still, none are supposed to be able to survive the extreme cold some parts of the US experience. Without controlled temperature and other conditions, such as one can have in some greenhouses, some folks just would not be able to grow them or keep them alive.

Even the Winter Daphne is only hardy to 10°F, so it would either have to be grown in pots and wintered indoors or in another temperature controlled environment, or it would not survive winter in at least 25% of US states as well as in some regions within some of the other states (extremes exist within many of the other states, as well, although not always shown due to state averages).

Even in Georgia, with some pretty nice weather, Daphnes apparently require a lot of care to stay alive.

Daphnes across the board are fickle,” said Michael Dirr, retired professor of horticulture at the University of Georgia and author of 12 books, many of which have become standard references for plant enthusiasts. “They wither and die almost overnight.” Even he admits that “I have lost many over the years.” https://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic-farming-gardening/stories/how-to-grow-daphne-odora

But I would love to smell them sometime and see how they compare to my favorite smelling plants. I am partial to gardenias, jasmine and some others that bring back fond memories of places I used to live or frequent.

I've used Ylang a couple of times in soap but couldn't make it stick past a couple of months. Which made me very sad as I love the scent!
I love it too Krista - and combined with Daphne it's even nicer! I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday who makes candles and she said it doesn't stick well in candles either. I wonder if I should try Ylang Ylang FO instead of EO?

I've never seen an Ylang FO nor thought to look for one, how stupid of me! If you find one I'd love to hear about it KiwiMoose. If it exists, hopefully we can both find it in New Zealand and the states;)

I have in my hand a bottle of Ylang Ylang FO! I hope to try it soon and let you know how it goes. I also ordered daphne FO from a different supplier to see how that goes - but it smells like old man's cheap aftershave OOB, so I'm not so keen to try it!

I'm keen to know y'all's thoughts on me rebatching my original soap (Winter Daphne and Ylang Ylang EO) by grating and confetti-ing into a new batch with my new Daphne and Ylang Ylang FOs. My concern is that the old one has not only lost its scent, it to me smells a bit yucky. Not rancid, but has an 'oily' smell rather than just no smell at all. I don't want to waste a new batch if this smell will affect it.

I don’t know @KiwiMoose since I don’t make many confetti soaps. If you know your oils were fresh in the original batch it should be fine. I think I would try a small batch, with only a small amount of it with confetti - maybe 1/4 of the total batter mixed with confetti in a layer on the top or bottom. That way it’s all together and you can judge if it’s going to affect the new soap or not.

I don’t know @KiwiMoose since I don’t make many confetti soaps. If you know your oils were fresh in the original batch it should be fine. I think I would try a small batch, with only a small amount of it with confetti - maybe 1/4 of the total batter mixed with confetti in a layer on the top or bottom. That way it’s all together and you can judge if it’s going to affect the new soap or not.
Not a silly idea - and if I do layers as you suggest I can cut it off if I don't like it, and i still have some useable soap!

Latest posts

Back