Dandruff bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizflowers42

Reaction score
I love Genny's shampoo bar. Hubs on the other hand, does not tolerate it well. Even after encouraging him to stick with it, it appears to be making his dandruff more pronounced. I know that I added in 1 tsp of bentonite clay for my hair, which may be too drying for his scalp. What alterations would you recommend for a dandruff-reducing bar?

I know that Tea Tree Oil is a good additive, would ground oatmeal help sooth dry scalp? How about pine tar (haven't even attempted this additive yet)?

Pine tar is really good for dandruff. I think I would give that a try. I used it up until I finally had to go on steroid drops to put on my scalp (my dandruff was related to a medicine). Even though it didn't completely work for me, it made a noticeable difference.

Thanks 3lf! I'm sorry to hear though that you have had such trouble. I think that I will give it a try. How did you apply it to your hair when you used it?

I've been reading up on Oil and Butter properties alot lately! lol!
I've read that Aloe Vera is good for dandruff because
1) it heals and soothes damaged scalp from dandruff, scratches, & burns
2) It is an anti-puritic reducing dandruff, itchy, scaly scalp and Seborrheic Dermatitis
3) Balances pH level (porosity) of hair

Has he tried an apple cider vinegar rinse a couple of time a week? I usually do 2 parts water to 1 part acv with a few drops of EO to cover the vinegar smell.

I made a special shampoo bar for my husband with a lot of avocado oil and a high superfat and he loves it (he is normally super-prone to dandruff, but we think it's just always been the sulfates in shampoos).

+1 on the ACV rinse, I would get build up on my scalp and a rinse of ACV 2-3 times a week keeps my scalp healthy and happy.

I hope you will have an answer to it and share soon. I am having the same problem and I think it getting notorious. I am still working on different formulation to find the most suitable for me. Testing in progress and yet to have an answer.

The vinegar rinse combined with a little more of a conditioning bar has taken care of my son's dandruff. We don't mix the vinegar quite as strongly as cursivearts but that's just personal preference. For his shampoo bar I don't use coconut oil and I put in more Shea butter than for the bars I make for myself.

Latest posts

Back