cutting trouble

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eargirly

Reaction score
I have a question. When I cut my bars from a log mold, i get a sort of 'drag' on the bar....like it is not just perfectly smooth along the bar side that I cut. How is the best way to smooth this off? Damp paper towel and just smooth off? I am getting ready for this craft show and it is making me crazy! lol

Any help is appreciated :)

~ear

one of the easiest ways to prevent this........wait longer to cut. The firmer the soap, the less draggy it is. I know waiting is hard to do when you're as impatient as I am, but it really does help.

i agree. You can take it out of the mold and let it sit overnight and that will help a lot. I used to cut my soap right away, but have learned that it is OK to wait to get a better product.

I let my soap sit unmolded for 2-3 days before I cut it and I use a wire cutter now instead of the guillotine type cutter I was using. My soaps don't go rock hard right away so I can leave them for awhile before cutting.

I'm still very new to this but I've already found I like using wire to cut more than a blade. I have been cutting them fresh out of the mold and some cuts are a LITTLE uneven... which just makes them look more handmade. But I'll try waiting a day or two on the next couple of batches and see how it goes.

I'm still learning so I'm not putting too much pressure on myself...

YET!!!! :twisted:

Back