Cut the HP soap I made last night!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I inspired you!
Yes, indigo powder is green.

It sounds like you added it to lye water? If so, that's what happened to your color i think. For CP, try adding it after trace when you split your batch.
I did it.. And added it at emulsion as well. It's in the gallery ;)
It's still not blue hehe so SaltedFig must be right, the brownish green powder is for hair and blue powder is for dyeing. See her post somewhere here. And I just read I added it to plain water to test...

I haven't heard about any skin benefits of indigo, and it doesn't stick to hair -- it bonds to henna. If yours does have henna mixed in it, it still won't be on you long enough to transfer any color to your hair. Happy soaping!
Lol yes, I was kidding of course. Was just reminded of an incident where my aunt ended up with shocking copper hair due to henna lol I just can't remember where she said she made a mistake. We've never tried a mixed henna-indigo for hair though, and I did say I wanted to try this one..

I did it.. And added it at emulsion as well. It's in the gallery ;)
It's still not blue hehe so SaltedFig must be right, the brownish green powder is for hair and blue powder is for dyeing. See her post somewhere here. And I just read I added it to plain water to test...

Lol yes, I was kidding of course. Was just reminded of an incident where my aunt ended up with shocking copper hair due to henna lol I just can't remember where she said she made a mistake. We've never tried a mixed henna-indigo for hair though, and I did say I wanted to try this one..

Sorry I didn't realize you were joking. My SO always says that I take everything too serious. I'm an odd mix of serious and goofy. :rolleyes:

Hendigo is what my hair is colored with in my profile pic. :)

Love it! HP is my fave way to make soap. Actually, CP is but I'm in too much a hurry to get it out (not much room) LOL. So pretty!

Thank you , Paulie! I also like HP and have done about 50-50 CP/ HP so far. I like how fast CP is to make, and I enjoy watching it all happen in the pot when I do HP. Decisions, decisions!! I don't have much room either, so I commiserate with you.

Meena, Indigo is endlessly fascinating - your version has a green tinge that I think goes very nicely with the henna colour. I would love to see some "in-use" pictures once it cures (I haven't tried henna in soap, so I'm intrigued to hear how it cures and whether it affects the lather).
I like your soaps :)

Hi Figgie! :D

Day 13 of the Henna & Indigo soap, here is the lather, so far. Just to be sure we are on the same page, due to your comment above, I used the hair indigo, not indigo root.

The curing soap's colors have not changed a whit from the OP pics. I had added some micas, pigment, and AC as an experiment to see if they would help stabilize the colors, but unless I try this soap again without those additions, it's impossible to say for sure.
20190310_HI day 13 lather 161556.jpg

20190310_HI day 13 lather 161522.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Meena :thumbs:

The foam looks faintly blue :)
(And surprisingly light, considering the depth of colour in the soap)

I saw that in the pics, too, but it isn't noticeable in real life.

You should have seen how I had to take those shots by myself with both hands wet and soapy, lol!! Without the voice activation on my camera "shutter", would have been impossible.

I have the indigo hair preparation. Yours is the indigo dye/colourant.
I never realized they were different until soap. ;) The green hair powder will eventually, after several or more applications, turn the hair a blue-black, though.

I have the indigo hair preparation. Yours is the indigo dye/colourant.
I never realized they were different until soap. ;) The green hair powder will eventually, after several or more applications, turn the hair a blue-black, though.
It will be interesting to see the difference in soap.

Thanks for the update Meena :thumbs:

The foam looks faintly blue :)
(And surprisingly light, considering the depth of colour in the soap)

I think the blue is coming from the Ultramarine Blue Pigment I mixed into the Indigo, now that I think about it. All the soaps I've used this Ultramarine in have had discolored lather. I might be using too much ... not sure, but will have to remind myself that I'm not painting or applying makeup, lol. ;)

Latest posts

Back